Author Topic: Do you not like Facebook's new ad targeting on everything you do?  (Read 2183 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
For those of you that don't like Facebook following your pawprints for Ad information:

How to Opt Out of Facebook’s New Ad-Targeting Program

http://time.com/2864482/facebook-ads-opt-out/

Facebook has long used “like” buttons and comment boxes on other websites to track vital data about its users as they move about the broader Internet. Now, however, Facebook will start leveraging that browsing data to serve up targeted advertising to users in the U.S., the company said Thursday.

This won’t stop Facebook from showing you ads, but it will prevent the ads from being served up based on your web activity. It also won’t stop Facebook from collecting info about your browsing habits for other purposes. The social network ties such data to individual members’ profiles, keeping it for up to 90 days.

Really, the only way I can figure out to keep FB from following you around is to delete all of your Internet history, then go look at FB with a clean browser, and don't look at anything else while you're in FB. At least I think that MIGHT work.

Yep. I'll say it again. Facebook is da debil!
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Re: Do you not like Facebook's new ad targeting on everything you do?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 08:41:10 PM »
I use Chromes Ad block plus. That seems to work  thumbsup1
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 09:23:50 PM »
Ad Blocker isn't helping with the problem of them collecting info about your browsing habits though. Only keeping your cookies away from them does that.  >:(
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 01:41:23 AM »
It makes me crazy the way FB follows you... looooong after you sign off. 
I always sign off.  Close my browser and then clear my cookies, cache, history, desk, screen, etc.  lol  To ME... FB takes it to the next level of creepy, (as far as tracking) by tracking a person AFTER they have signed off.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 08:37:25 AM »
Thank you for giving me another reason to NOT be on Facebook.   :)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 11:02:10 AM »
Can one block cookies on FB, or block most of them? I always clear everything after signing out of FB too.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 11:12:57 AM »
I've tried blocking cookies before. It won't let you go. I always got the message, "This site requires cookies. Blah, blah, blah, blech."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 07:47:33 PM »
MOST websites require a certain amount of cookies.  Just tossing that info out there.  :)
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 09:24:11 PM »
MOST websites require a certain amount of cookies.  Just tossing that info out there.  :)

Yeah,  but it's always worth a shot just to see what you can manage to get away with.

Tags: