Author Topic: Mazy cat's dental  (Read 13018 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Mazy cat's dental
« on: July 19, 2015, 02:53:00 PM »
 Mazy cat has finally reached the point in her life when a dental is advised.  My vet has been watching her teeth very closely, and last check up in January she showed me a back tooth with heavy tartar.  She didn't feel the rest of Mazy's dental health warranted a dental yet.

But now she thinks there may be an resorptive lesion behind that area and it's time for the dental.

Mazy has not had a dental before (she is 11) but she did have GA 2 years ago (just around this time) for an ear clean out.  She does very well with the sevoflurane anesthesia.

My biggest concern for Mazy has always been her stainless steel fear, but they kept her in her carrier instead of a vet cage last time and she was not traumatized.  I don't see any reason why she can't be treated that way again, so I am, I think a little calmer this time.

Here's the hurt my heart part.  Now that I know Mazy may have a resorptive lesion (oh heck,  I know she does.  My vet knows what she sees in a cat's mouth, and I dealt with them in Tolly  angelRIP.)

Anyway I AM seeing the tell tale symptom and realize I have actually been seeing it for a few weeks.  Actually I just cheeked the journals.  Back in the middle of April there is a notation "Mazy teeth chatter? watch for it". 

Yep, I knew FORL when I saw it in April, and then in May she had the ear flare up (which is gone now) but tsk tsk, if I'd remembered the chatter, remembered to watch for it, AND took her in when she had the ear flare up like my vet wanted, that resproptive lesion might have been caught two months earlier.

On the other hand, is the thought that two months ago, maybe it wouldn't have been jnoticlbe to be caught.  Nah, I can't buy that, considering we've been watching that area.  I simply goofed.

And of course knowing about the FORL also brings to my eyes other sublte changes in bheavior that indicate she's not top shape. 

I would tell anyone else not to be hard on yourself.  Cats are the masters of hiding any discomfort at all let alone pain, so it's not your fault you didn't realize right away.  Even with the symptoms right in front of me.  Tsk.

Well, well, anyway vet says Mazy cat certainly isn't suffering, just a little momentary discomfort now and then,  so I am planning to schedule the dental on September 1st, the blood work is scheduled to be done August 25th.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Mazy cat's dental
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 03:07:18 PM »
You shouldn't be hard on yourself at all. I've now got a million coulda, shoulda, woulda's, but there just are no guarantees. When you do your best, that's all you can do, and I think Mazy's in the best hands.

If you're willing to leave your carrier there, I don't see why they wouldn't do as you ask to keep her calmer. I'd spray the heck out of it with the pheromones the night before though.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 03:49:47 PM »
I agree with DeeDee.  And, you've also had a lot going on with your family for the last few months.  You're human.  The important thing is that it's been identified and will be treated.

I've now got a million coulda, shoulda, woulda's, but there just are no guarantees.

Been there, done that (and still do occasionally) with Pookie's cancer.  Blaming ourselves doesn't change the past.  We do the best we can, and you've done wonders with Mazy.

Mazy is absolutely in the best hands, and spraying the Feliway is a great idea.  If you think it would help, leave a t-shirt or something of yours in the carrier with her so she can smell you and take comfort from that.

HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 04:35:42 PM »
Heh. Add another coal to the heap.  I also now realize I've noticed a few times that Mazy cat's breath is not as sweet as it normally is.  Not all the time just once in a while, to give me pause...then I forgot about it 'til the next time.

Don't worry I'm not wallowing in self recriminations.  But it is interesting how the mind can..side step... things that it seems like I would normally jump on.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 05:41:07 PM »
You are an awesome cat mom....one of THE best.  The only other thing I have to say.... Hindsight 20/20. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 01:57:14 PM »
Mazy cat had her blood work today preparatory for her dental, which is now scheduled for Monday August 17.

She did very good for getting the blood, according to the tech, I love this tech and she is amazing with Mazy, understands her so well.  Mazy cat had some rescue remedy a half hour before we left for the vet, and I wiped the carrier with feliway wipes and sprayed her towel this morning.

At the time of her dental, while she is under the vet will also clean out any wax, if any, in her ears, and express her anal glands, and even get a urine sample, she hasn't had a urinalysis in a couple of years so might as well get that done too, all while she is under the Sevo.

I was sick to my stomach at work all morning dreading this and now thank goodness this part is over, just the dental to get through, and 11 days for that to hang over my head ugh ugh!

Mazy cat is fine now that she's home has had her lunch and I am going back to work.

xx

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 02:01:17 PM »
I'm glad all went well (Yay Mazy!) AND you have a vet tech that you trust and like! 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 02:04:19 PM »
All right, Mazy!  I'm glad she did and is doing well, and that you have that behind you.   HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 02:14:58 PM »
So glad she did so well!

*fingers crossed now for the rest to be over with soon with a good outcome*
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 07:26:49 PM »
The ducks are lining up.  Mazy cat's blood work was all fine.  The usual aberrations, BUN and Creatinine just slightly elevated, also cholesterol, but vet and I have agreed that this is due to the raw diet.

Darn I meant to ask her if they are using the new IDEXX testing.
 http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=3805.new#newIDEXX

I haven't seen a copy of the bloodwork yet, and her last (in January) doesn't indicate what lab does the testing.

I have spoken to her at great length and all is planned out.  I do not have to do the usual "drop off between 7:30 and 8:30".  My vet has agreed that I can bring Mazy cat in at 11, which will be nearer the time she will be taken in for her procedure.  This means no hours crouched in a carrier terrified.

I have taken a vacation day from work, so as to reduce my own stress.  Feeding the other two while fasting Mazy is the only issue.  I may make them all wait.  It will be difficult, but still easier on Mazy than sitting in her carrier at the vet for three or four hours.

While Mazy cat is under she will have her dental and extraction (if needed).  She will also get her ears cleaned out of any wax, have her anal glands expressed, and have a urine sample taken (and sent out for culture).  All under anesthesia, so no stress for her!

Vet wants to use the ketamine induction before using the sevoflurane.  I balked, but she looked up Mazy's ear procedure from two years ago and told me she had used it then also.  I said I hadn't thought to ask then because I thought she didn't use ketamine with sevo.  She said she never did with Ootay because of her age, or Tolly because of his seizure disorder, but she thought it would be less stressful for Mazy cat to have the sedation cocktail first before being intubated.

Since Mazy has already had it with no ill effects, I reluctantly agreed. I reminded her though no metacam, and no convenia. 

For pain meds and antibiotics (in case of extraction) the estimate has Simbadol (opiate that works the same as buprenex, can't get buprenex any more, I didn't think to ask why on the phone) and clavamox drops.  I said I thought I would prefer baytril and vet hesitated, she doesn't like to use baytril in cats with the exception of really necessary cases. I sighed and agreed to clavamox, but pills not liquid.

So that's it, all ready to go.  Oh man I wish it was over already.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 09:03:02 PM »
So glad you've got all the plans laid out now. It's too hard to go through things when plans aren't complete.

. . .the estimate has Simbadol (opiate that works the same as buprenex, can't get buprenex any more, I didn't think to ask why on the phone)

Is that not what Vlad had for pain in emergency? He had a shot of  "buprenorphine."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 09:49:27 PM »
Was it not possible for Mazy to be the first morning appointment?  Either way, that is AWESOME that she won't have the stress of waiting.
Is having her ears cleaned and anal glands expressed the norm? 
The things you think of to ask about... and asking for pills instead of liquid...you just amaze me.  As always. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 05:11:29 AM »
Thanks you guys.  Lola, no there were already a number of surgeries on the schedule for Monday morning, Mazy couldn't come first.  Boohoo!

I have requested the other things: anal glad expression, ear clean out and urine culture, because those are all things that cause Mazy such extreme stress.  I just think it makes sense to get them all done while Mazy cat is under anesthesia. They are not routine under anesthesia procedures.

I am anticipating that miraculous change after dental that so many people witness (including myself). I've noticed for a while now that she is often sitting UNDER things, especially after eating. I am sure this is because of mouth pain making her feel vulnerable.  And she hardly plays at all.  She acts interested, but then stops almost immediately.  I think her mouth hurts and has hurt for several months.

I am grateful I was able to take the day off from work. This is why I hoard my vacation days haha!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 08:10:36 AM »
Either way, that is AWESOME that she won't have the stress of waiting.
The things you think of to ask about... and asking for pills instead of liquid...you just amaze me.  As always. 

Ditto!  Crossing all fingers and paws that everything goes well, for both of you.   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed  HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 09:25:48 AM »
Thanks you guys.  Lola, no there were already a number of surgeries on the schedule for Monday morning, Mazy couldn't come first.  Boohoo!

What... they don't KNOW that Mazy is special and should be moved to front of the line!   ;)

I have requested the other things: anal glad expression, ear clean out and urine culture, because those are all things that cause Mazy such extreme stress.  I just think it makes sense to get them all done while Mazy cat is under anesthesia. They are not routine under anesthesia procedures.

I was wondering if ear cleaning and anal glad expressing were routine (or should be)... in general?   

I am anticipating that miraculous change after dental that so many people witness (including myself). I've noticed for a while now that she is often sitting UNDER things, especially after eating. I am sure this is because of mouth pain making her feel vulnerable.  And she hardly plays at all.  She acts interested, but then stops almost immediately.  I think her mouth hurts and has hurt for several months.

I am grateful I was able to take the day off from work. This is why I hoard my vacation days haha!

After all the stress and worry, it will be worth it to see and know Mazy is feeling better.  I TOTALLY understand taking a vacation day. ((hugs))

Tags: