Author Topic: Supplements  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Supplements
« on: July 18, 2011, 07:36:50 PM »
Do you feed your cat any supplements? If so list them here, and why you feed them.
 I have just started to use Revocery SA for Shadow as she has a bit of a limp. I thought it was due to her ingrown nail, that was fixed. Though now she is clicking when she walks. So the Vet said this would be good for arthritis.  She did not have the clicking when we went to the vet, but ever since they manipulated her to see what was wrong she has been clicking. She does not seem to be in pain. :-\
I also use L-lysine mostly for Wilson as he is respiratory issues, and Shadow I give it to her for immune system so she does not get what Wilson has. So this has worked for quite a few years.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Supplements
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 09:40:24 PM »
The Kitten (one year old) is on ProViable probiotic.  She's been having trouble with nutrient absorption.  IBD has been tentatively ruled out after many exhaustive tests. The ProViable has made a big difference and she is beginning to finally put on some weight.

FLUTD girl  (7 years old) takes cosequin for cats to help keep her bladder walls strong and smooth.

Seizure kitty (12 years old) takes l-lysine to control his herpes virus.  He's been taking it for over 9 years and almost never has a flare up any more, and the rare flare ups do not ever go into secondary infection any more. I also use the l-lysine for the other cats during times of stress or illness to help boost their immune systems.

My other girl (5 1/2 years old) takes psyllium a couple times a week to give some bulk to her stool to help her clear her anal glands, she has trouble with her anal glands getting blocked up.

<geesh to read this it sounds like I must feed my cats some grocery store crap doesn't it?  But they are all on high quality grain free canned diets, with the exception of my FLUTD girl who eats Prescription c/d kibble)

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 09:47:33 PM »
What is FLUTD, and why are you feeding Hills Science Diet C/D?   ::)

I have a crystal kitty, Prowler, I know all about crystal and bladder issues, and, that he doesn't have them, any more.  ::)   thumbsup1 Bumpurr1 bumpgif

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 10:06:24 PM »
Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease.  I am not feeding Science Diet I am feeding Hills Prescription Diet, because it is the ONLY food that keeps her crystal free and a healthy urine pH.. I realize you want to educate me on this but I assure you I have already tried it. The bottom line is, while the ingredients are not what I would want to feed any cat, the Hills Prescription c/d works at what it is made for, so I have chosen the lesser of two evils.  A cat with a constant urinary tract problems vs a cat on a less than ideal food....I choose freedom from crystals for her. :)

<edit>  Didn't mean to sound like a know-it-all or closed-minded, though I guess I did sound that way.  It's just that I have been through other diets with her, and we always end up back on the c/d when the crystals come back and the pH jumps up to 7.5.  She was on a canned diet when her trouble started, when she was barely a year old. Since then I have periodically tried to get her on high quality grain free canned diets, and it back-fires every time.

She gets a urine culture and blood work annually and all is well, as long as I feed her only the c/d. I'm not happy about it, believe me.  But I have to go with what works.

Tags: