Author Topic: Warning: Stella & Chewy's freeze dried poulty products change in formula  (Read 5889 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
And it's not a good change.  Pea fiber! Menadione sodium bisulfate!

What the heck are they thinking? Do they think raw feeders are stupid? Do they not understand that people feed raw to get AWAY from such crap?  I have written to them my opinion and the sad fact that I will no longer be using their product.

I am really disappointed.  S&C are rotation meals for Jennie and Queen Eva. Were.  Their supper meal only, every other night.  It's the only way I can get any bone into Queen Eva.

http://www.stellaandchewys.com/products/cat-dinners/

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
A good Tweet for WHENEVER DeeDee has time. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
Here's the standard reply that everyone who has complained is getting:

Thank you for your email.  We're sorry to hear about your decision to discontinue using Stella & Chewy's.  We do understand your concern, but would like to explain why we began using these ingredients for the betterment of our products.

Stella & Chewy’s is constantly working towards providing the best product on the market.  During our ongoing research, we found that adding a “carrier” (ie. and ingredient used to keep things like vitamins and minerals in place without negatively affecting the food) was an ideal way to ensure that each bite of your cat’s food is completely balanced and nutritious.  After a great deal of thought and development, we determined that pea fiber was a much better carrier for our food than many of the more commonly used ingredients such as rice hulls. 

You’ll be pleased to find out that our dinners for cats are still 98% meat, organ meat and bone – the pea fiber is used quite minimally and is less than 1% of the total recipe!  An added benefit of the pea fiber is that it will help to keep the shape and texture of the food a bit more consistent – this should mean less chance for excessively crumbly product! 

Vitamin K is a biologically required, fat-soluble vitamin for both dogs and cats.  The most common dietary form of vitamin K is leafy green vegetables – however, research has found that leafy greens can cause multiple health issues in cats, especially urinary issues in male cats.  The other common dietary supplement used is Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (MSBC)– MSBC is the supplement Stella & Chewy’s has chosen to utilize.  According to NRC (National Research Council) Nutrient Requirements of Dogs and cats, MSBC is safe to about 1,000 times the dietary requirement when fed normally (ie. not intravenously or through other unusual routes).  Of course, as with all of our supplementation, the amount we use in our product is quite minimal.   While we understand some pet-parents’ concerns about MSBC, there does not exist any scientific study that has found that proper use of the supplement would be toxic or harmful to pets.

We certainly understand your concern, and will be sure to share your feedback with our team.

Please feel free to let us know if you have any further questions.

Thank you,

Stella & Chewy’s

About what I expected, really.
 bangshead bangshead bangshead

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
I wonder what the REAL reason is for the changes.  It is in our rotation, but when it is gone... it will be gone forever.  All of it.
What a shame too.  It is a food I ALWAYS recommend to people that want to make the jump from canned to raw, but are very leery of doing so.  It is an easy jump.  Or at least it was.  What a bummer...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 08:10:26 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
I wrote to them again asking just that.  I said "are you saying the food has not been balanced all these years?"

I got back another non-answer

Our products have always been AAFCO compliant and fully complete and balanced, over time as AAFCO standards/requirements  change and as the natural nutritional value of our ingredients fluctuates we need to adjust to ensure always delivering a complete and balanced meals to animals.

I sent them links about the harmful effects of pea fiber in cats and the toxicity of menadione Sodium bisulfate complex.

It's such BS

I'll continue using he rabbit and I might try one of the other frozen proteins, just to keep the bone in Queen Eva's diet. That is until they mess with the frozen too.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
 thumbsup1
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
I was able to get some of the old formula from Chewys.com. Expire date next June.  So I have enough for 5 months.

I've ordered the frozen duck to try for Queen Eva.  Until they change the frozen formulas I'll keep using those.

Someday hopefully in the not too distant furture I will have a home, with room for a deep freezer and wil be able to order from hare Today.  They have fine ground with bone choices right?  That's what I need for Queen Eva's bone in meals.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
I mixed up what we had in the pantry.  I put the mixture into daily feeding portions.  We are now officially done with Stella & Chewys dehydrated.  There are too many other choices (for us) to keep it in our rotation. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
I mixed up what we had in the pantry.  I put the mixture into daily feeding portions.  We are now officially done with Stella & Chewys dehydrated.  There are too many other choices (for us) to keep it in our rotation. 

thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1

Offline cindymecindy

Re: Warning: Stella & Chewy's freeze dried poulty products change in formula
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 11:36:28 PM »
I too wrote Stella and Chewy's about my dismay in the using of the MSBC  (Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex) and she wrote back that after so many complaints they are looking to start using a different constituent at the beginning of the year (2017).  It pays to write in with our concerns.

Offline cindymecindy

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 11:44:24 PM »
One more problem though... Most of us saw the 60 Minutes or 48 Hour show on how the world's Olive Oil Industry has been taken over by the mob, thus  the majority of olive oils at the grocery store are contaminated with fake oils and chemicals.  They say you can only get REAL olive oil from small expensive growers now.  So when I see "olive oil" on the label of Stella and Chewy's, I KNOW she isn't using some expensive small-batch brand.  She is using the cheapest money can buy, and that means it's mob-tainted and contains God-knows-what.  I think I have to stick with Primal instead.  It's the ONLY other similar brand to Stella's that contains organic vegetables. 

Please consider dropping Stella and Chewy's a note on your fears of the olive oil she uses as well.... we have to keep her on her toes so she makes sure to test her olive oil for contaminants.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 08:38:23 AM »
Cindymecindy, WELCOME to the forum and thank you so much for posting in this thread.  It's good to know they are considering dropping the MSBC (but that still leaves the pea fiber).  However I didn't know that about olive oil (I never use it myself) and it is very important information.

In fact I didn't know olive oil was used in S&C. Off to look at the ingredients lists again, wonder what else I missed!

Thank you!

<edit>  The olive oil is in the frozen formulas, but not the (feline) freeze dried. :(

I am still using old formula freeze dried S&C, it will be all used up by June.

I use the frozen rabbit one meal a week, Sunday morning for Queen Eva and Jennie.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 07:49:06 PM »
I too wrote Stella and Chewy's about my dismay in the using of the MSBC  (Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex) and she wrote back that after so many complaints they are looking to start using a different constituent at the beginning of the year (2017).  It pays to write in with our concerns.

Thanks for the info!   thumbsup1 thumbsup1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 07:50:41 PM »
We use a LOT of olive oil.  It never seems to "pay" to make (what one thinks) are changes for the better.  :( 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 06:23:31 PM »
Olive oil discussion has been moved to: http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=4712.0