Author Topic: Does anyone know how long it takes Prilosec. . .  (Read 3110 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Does anyone know how long it takes Prilosec. . .
« on: June 28, 2015, 04:12:35 PM »
Does anyone know how long it takes for Prilosec to work on a dog?

We've decided this prednisone might be having an affect on his stomach, burping, etc. in our face like saying, "This isn't right." So we went to get him some Prilosec.

I just wondered how long it will take to start working if anyone knows?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 04:58:42 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Does anyone know how long it takes Prilosec. . .
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 05:12:32 PM »
When our Roxy was taking it, it worked wihin a few hours.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 05:46:48 PM »
Okay, thanks. I hope it works soon since I just had to give him the rest of his prednisone for the day.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 06:11:37 PM »
Maybe ACV instead?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 06:46:23 PM »
I thought about it, but I'm really afraid to give that with the prednisone. Everyone in that group seems to give Prilosec if their dogs have problems with the prednisone.

I figured I'd do him like humans, do a 14 day round, then then see what happens after that without it.

Right now, I'm just not sure what would happen to his electrolytes with ACV.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 07:34:43 PM »
I don't have anything intelligent to add (surprise!), I just want to give ya (((DeeDee))).  Sooooo frustrating and stressfull figuring things out for our furkids at times. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 08:29:51 PM »
Hugs and vibes coming from my way, too Dee xx

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 08:30:34 PM »
I'm going to call his vet tomorrow to ask about the Prilosec, but I thought for today, with all the burping, it couldn't hurt for one dose--and if they DO okay it, then I'll have a head-start on it.

I don't have anything intelligent to add (surprise!), I just want to give ya (((DeeDee))).  Sooooo frustrating and stressfull figuring things out for our furkids at times. 

Hugs and vibes coming from my way, too Dee xx

Thank you, both. Don't think I'd make it through this as well as I have without you guys.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 09:06:23 PM »
I'm sending hugs and purrs, too, Dee.  grouphug CatPurr  :-* :-* :-* GoodVibes

As for trying the ACV with the prednisone, here's my  2cents:  I would think that it would be ok if you make it a very small amount (e.g. teaspoon or less), as the purpose of the ACV is to add acid to the stomach to improve digestion.  This assumes that the prednisone is somehow reducing his stomach acid.  The default by vets and therefore us whenever our furkids have signs of digestion issues is to reach for the acid reducers/blockers, even though the issue may not be too much acid.

That said, I TOTALLY understand your hesitation about adding the ACV, and I think you're doing the right thing.  Vlad has gone through enough recently, and you're being careful with him.  In 14 days you can see how he's doing without the Prilosec and make a decision based on that whether you want to try adding ACV.  If I get a chance, I'll try to research if pred can cause a reduction or increase in stomach acid.  I have a hunch that no one's really looked into that, though.   :(

You're doing a great job, DeeDee.  Vlad is so lucky to have you!    thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 09:11:18 PM »
The default by vets and therefore us whenever our furkids have signs of digestion issues is to reach for the acid reducers/blockers, even though the issue may not be too much acid.

VERY true!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 09:21:54 PM »
Well I know that high doses of prednisone for poison ivy and other allergic reactions in the past ate my stomach up completely. That's why his burping in my face so much makes me think it does the same thing to dogs.

I've read somewhere about some dogs getting stomach ulcers after being on steroids a long time. I also know some steroids act differently from the others.

That's why one of my questions in my 4 pages of "I need to ask," is:

What determines which one of these is used(?):

The primary pharmaceutical options are:
Prednisone, probably the most commonly prescribed drug for a dog with Addison’s. This medication is the same steroid that is often used (usually in higher doses) to combat inflammation (such as allergies) and autoimmune conditions.

Prednisolone, is similar to prednisone with the same half-life and relative potency, but has already been converted to the bioactive form. This saves the liver from a step, and can be a useful choice for ADogs that have elevated liver enzymes.

Hydrocortisone, (brand name Cortef) is the pharmaceutical product closest in form to the cortisol naturally produced by the body. It is the most commonly prescribed medication for people with Addison’s disease. It has a shorter duration than prednisone and has higher relative mineralocorticoid activity.

Methylprednisolone (brand name Medrol) it is relatively more potent and longer lasting than both prednisone and hydrocortisone. It also has little mineralocorticoid activity.

This one is for emergencies like this past week:

Dexamethasone is one of the strongest of the glucocorticoids. It is fast-acting and very potent – often given as an injection in crisis situations. It is the least commonly prescribed glucocorticoid for regular day-to-day use.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 09:22:19 PM »
Question for you Dee:  Can you give Vlad the prednisilone with food, or are you supposed to give it away from meals?  If you can give it to him with food, that may help the tummy issues he might be having.

I mention it because I just saw this:  http://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=38&m=2122650  It looks like the people there take their pred with food/milk and it helps keep their stomachs calm, so I wondered if that was an option for Vlad.  I will try to research more later.

I know you're also reducing the dose and spreading it out -- that may also help.   fingerscrossed

HangInThere

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 09:25:37 PM »
Oh. Another symptom with him is that he calms down again a bit after eating again. I've been feeding him 4 meals trying to get some weight back on him.

Question for you Dee:  Can you give Vlad the prednisilone with food, or are you supposed to give it away from meals?  If you can give it to him with food, that may help the tummy issues he might be having.

I mention it because I just saw this:  http://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=38&m=2122650  It looks like the people there take their pred with food/milk and it helps keep their stomachs calm, so I wondered if that was an option for Vlad.  I will try to research more later.

I know you're also reducing the dose and spreading it out -- that may also help.   fingerscrossed

HangInThere

Thank you. I've only been giving it with his breakfast and supper. Each meal with prednisone has a meal between them and then a meal after.  6-7 depending on when he wakes,  12:00,  5:00, and right before 9:00pm.

Morning and 5:00 are the meals with the prednisone.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 09:27:35 PM by DeeDee »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 09:38:04 PM »
Some other very quick searches indicate that steriods increase the stomach acid.  At least, they can cause ulcers.  So another option, once Vlad's stable with his weight, dosage, etc., is to reduce the Prilosec, i.e. give half a pill instead of a whole pill, and see how that works.

I still want to look into this more, but need to shut down now.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 09:48:07 PM »
Thanks, Pookie. I thought that was what it was, but I guess I was looking too much into Addison's specific problems, and I guess that's way on down the list of problems.

I found why I rejected ACV just out of hand and was concerned about his electrolytes:

http://bragg.com/products/bragg-organic-apple-cider-vinegar.html

INTERNAL BENEFITS:
Rich in enzymes & potassium
Support a healthy immune system
Helps control weight
Promotes digestion & ph Balance
Helps soothe dry throats
Helps remove body sludge toxins

It's high in potassium. He definitely doesn't need any extra of that right now.

Note: I AM getting tired of not remembering everything I could remember before. I'm guessing it's just the stress, but it's still irritating. And his vet okay'd Prilosec this morning.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:27:20 AM by DeeDee »

Tags: