Author Topic: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat  (Read 118986 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat
« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2017, 01:11:49 PM »
Remind me again  :-[ why you give her Konsyl pure psyllium... and why you stopped? 

I never gave it to her before.  I gave her vet's-best, which contains psyllium. I stopped the V-B when they changed the formula last summer, and went back to giving her just slippery elm bark and marshmallow root, but no psyllium.  I decided to wait and see if she needed the bulk forming fiber before starting her on it.

I am giving it to her now because when the fur starts to build up periodically, as it always does, her stools are coming out bone dry and hard.  Last week I gave her the mineral oil but I would really rather not continue with that.  Psyllium is a bulk forming laxative, it draws water to the colon.  She needs that, at least periodically.  Her episodes are starting to last 2 days now, instead of her just puking, and then being done with it until the next time.

She did not want any breakfast after puking this morning and I wasn't sure she was even going to eat lunch either.  I just gave her a little canned with more psyllium, SEB and MR in it, and lots of water. There was another stool in the box, but I am not sure if it is her, I don't see much fur just very hard and dry stuff.  So it probably is hers.  Jennie & Queen Eva are due to poop today, but their poops never look like that.

I truly mean this in the kindest way...  the cats being upset about poo in the kitchen had me chuckling a bit. 

It was funny, especially the way they swarmed around.  Queen Eva rushed over, poked her nose in, took a big sniff and then wrinkled her nose and jerked back..it was freaking hilarious actually, she was so shocked! I think they thought I was starting a treat session.

but I worried about Mazy cat because she was really upset about it. Mazy cat is the original Litter Box Police, and takes it very seriously.  Poop in the kitchen is just Not On.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2017, 04:41:30 PM »
Mazy cat is still feeling poorly. She ate a very tiny amount at lunch, which she did get up for. I gave her another 1/8 tsp of psyllium, 1/8 tsp of SEB and a pinch of MR. She ate most of it (about 0.2 oz)

Just now (home from work) she ate another 0.2 oz but would not get out of bed to eat so I fed her where she is (in the hammock). I will continue this every half hour or so until I go to bed.  I am using the By Nature organic canned.

I think her episodes are starting to last longer. used to be she'd puke, feel better and be ready to eat again within a few hours. Last episode (12/23/16) after a 9 day span with no regurgitation it took her 2 full days for her to feel better and she lost an ounce. I managed to get that ounce back on her within a week. This episode (6 day span) - now it's been almost 24 hours again and she is still not herself.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2017, 04:47:26 PM »
 :(

GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2017, 06:38:55 PM »
Thanks Pookie!  I got busy and Mazy cat went 1 hour and ten minutes between servings.  This time though I made her get up out of the hammock. 

First..I noticed she was hanging her head out when I started Games with Queen Eva.  Watching, but not wanting to participate.  After a few minutes she pulled her head back in. She would greet me and purr anytime I went to her and pet her, but not coming out.

But when it was time for cat suppers, I made her get up. She got up, walked around a little stretching, you know how they do, then looked a little...almost confused.  I asked her if she had to pee (I was sure she did) and then just picked her up and carried her as far as the landing.  I put her down and she ran down the rest of the stairs, jumped up to the litter boxes (using her step-stool) and peed.

When she came back upstairs I thought she might get interested in play, but she changed her mind.

I made her stay up long enough to eat and this time I gave her the GLM in her 0.25 oz meal.

After she ate she went right back to bed, but I feel encouraged that she's been up anyway.  I'm about to give her another 0.25 oz, it's been 50 minutes since the GLM meal.

I hoped to get 2 ounces into her today, but..I don't think I'm going to get quite to that.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2017, 06:13:45 AM »
Still feeling sorry for herself this morning.  Got up when I got up and ate her first meal, but then went to bed and wouldn't come out for her 2nd serving.  Coaxed her out of bed for her 3rd (now 2nd) meal and hopefully will give her one more serving before I leave for work.

Her last meal last night I did give her the usual SEB, MR, ACV, and probiotic.

No more poop, I sure hope she got all the fur out.

Sometimes the worry seems more than I can continue to bear.

<edit> yep more furry poop. She ate her next meal too, so at least she's only down about half an ounce, today.  yesterday she only had 1.5 oz of food total though. :(

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2017, 09:31:33 AM »
Thanks for the explanation about the psyllium.  :)
I'm sorry Mazy is not up to par. 
Since barfing and the lack of pooping often go together... maybe things will turn around SOON!   Hug1
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2017, 01:15:34 PM »
Mazy cat was up and greeting me when I came home for lunch and ate her lunch right up.  So far kept it down.

Since I've been dealing with this for years you'd think I'd be used to it.  It's just...the episodes, or flare ups are lasting longer now.  Not more frequent than ever, but lasting closer to 48 hours than just a day.

Overtime wil be starting next week.  How I dread it.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2017, 04:20:39 PM »
Mazy cat was up and greeting me when I came home for lunch and ate her lunch right up.  So far kept it down.

Since I've been dealing with this for years you'd think I'd be used to it.  It's just...the episodes, or flare ups are lasting longer now.  Not more frequent than ever, but lasting closer to 48 hours than just a day.

Overtime wil be starting next week.  How I dread it.

Up and greeting me when I got home from work too.  But then she had more poop, and it was very sticky.  Stuck to her, she had to scoot to get it off.  Full of fur again, but the shell was sticky.  From the psyllium?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2017, 08:16:39 PM »
Up and greeting me when I got home from work too.  But then she had more poop, and it was very sticky.  Stuck to her, she had to scoot to get it off.  Full of fur again, but the shell was sticky.  From the psyllium?

I'm glad she was greeting you, at least that's an improvement.  As for the stickiness . . . I don't know if it's the psyllium, but if you suspect it, maybe add a little more water with it?

When is she going to the vet?  Was it this month or am I thinking of something else?

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2017, 09:06:53 PM »
Mazy cat is pretty much back to normal I think. She is due this month for her 6 month check up but I've been putting off making the appointment. Partly because of my disappointment with my vet, and partly because January is not really a good month for me to take a planned day off.  So I'm putting it off until February, while I continue to struggle with the thought of trying to find a better vet.

I miss having a vet I have regular contact with.  That of course is part of the problem, with no voice mail or private e mail there just isn't any way for me to communicate with her the way I need to, the way I used to be able to.

I was careful to use plenty of water when she had the psyllium, but maybe you're right.  I don't know if I am going to continue with it on a regular basis or not.  I'd really rather not, but we'll see how it goes.  With overtime looming she isn't going to be getting her 8 hour fasts some nights, and last year that was a nightmare.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2017, 09:19:38 PM »
grouphug GoodVibes  fingerscrossed

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2017, 07:00:12 PM »
All better. Normal poop tonight, normal appetite, all staying down.  Whew.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2017, 07:31:17 PM »
 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1  multistars

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2017, 10:28:55 AM »
More poop this morning, but hard little balls, I don't like to see that. Balls are difficult to pass.  I am stil struggling with the psyllium issue.

Knowing what happened last year when overtime set in, should I start the psyllium as a regular addition in order to try to prevent it?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2017, 10:38:13 AM »

Knowing what happened last year when overtime set in, should I start the psyllium as a regular addition in order to try to prevent it?

I would.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: