Author Topic: How Did Our Veterinarians Become Dog Food Salespeople?  (Read 1266 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
How Did Our Veterinarians Become Dog Food Salespeople?
« on: November 15, 2012, 07:54:42 PM »
The article is old, but there has been a recent comment added:

Snip...

In veterinary school, students draw their information and their philosophies about pet food based on textbooks, which often contain facts and studies underwritten by large pet food companies. The positive outcomes of studies of their own foods and formulas (which may or may not be reviewed by other scientists) can give veterinarians encouragement to recommend these foods to clients. In addition, at every veterinary college I visited I saw truckloads of dog and cat food that had been delivered as gifts by numerous pet food companies for the use of students and professors. Free food might influence a student’s attitude towards that product, especially if they were struggling to pay for many costly years of veterinary education.

Comment to article: (in part)

When I started the IVAS course, everything started to make sense and the realization that VETERINARY SCHOOLS ARE SPONSORED BY SCIENCE DIET, ROYAL CANIN, AND PURINA! I am a sensible person and I’m even saying that these companies are there to brain wash the new vets to sell their product for life. Even after graduation, they sponsor lunch time seminars for vet clinics, give them free lunch and books, and discounted or even free pet foods. The veterinary text books are written by these companies to allow them to sell cheap, biologically inappropriate, unhealthy ingredients at extremely expensive prices to make the most profit for the companies. For instance, even though a food says it has high protein, read the ingredients and make sure the protein is coming from meat, not soy and corn.
There are growing numbers of vets who are beginning to come around to think for themselves but I believe they are still few and far between. I do encourage all my clients to research for themselves and start asking questions if they think something does not add up. Real food is always better food.
Two of my pets now (both a dog and a cat) had previously diagnosed kidney insufficiency and now with proper diet, their kidney enzymes are normal and they are drinking normal amounts of water. As well, my other kitty had chronic intestinal disease and with proper diet his intestines are now working great.
Thanks for your time.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Stefanie Scheff

Read it all here:
http://www.traciehotchner.com/blog/1050/how-did-our-veterinarians-become-dog-food-salespeople/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Re: How Did Our Veterinarians Become Dog Food Salespeople?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 12:10:10 PM »
Great post Lola...shared ;)
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Tags: