Author Topic: Someone Has A Problem...  (Read 7712 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Someone Has A Problem...
« on: April 25, 2015, 12:34:12 PM »
A few days ago, I noticed small "squirts" of diarrhea in a litter box.  Very small amounts and very few.  Someone is also spitting up.  Small amounts.  Often.  Not food.  Not bile.  Looks watery-ish.
First things first... finding out WHO, and if the diarrhea and spit-ups are the same one.  No easy task for us or them.  NONE of the cats like to be in seclusion.  We also only have so many areas to work with. 

The short version:
Friday afternoon I know it is Lilly.  Thursday would have been better.  Now, I'm in total stress mode.  If I can't make her better, or she gets worse... an unknown and nutritionally non-educated ER vet will be our only choice.  Memories of Lucky come flooding back.  I could vomit.

My guess... the protein rotation. Rabbit and/or duck should have been rotated differently. 

Since she is eating an all raw diet and won't naturally poop as often as kibble or canned fed cats, I feed her canned turkey for dinner and breakfast this morning.  Added some Vet's Best as well.  And water.
So far, no more spit ups or diarrhea squirts.
She is urinating good.
I'm now waiting for her to poop.  Jenkins is too.  As I have mentioned before, Lilly is Jenkins best buddy.  He is BESIDE himself being separated from her. 

Lord, PLEASE let my guess and "fix" be right...
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Someone Has A Problem...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 12:37:31 PM »
All paws crossed here you've fixed the problem. I would have done something similar.  Do you use probiotics?  I know the V-B has some in it....

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 12:54:54 PM »
I'm not sure when she last pooped, so I'm not sure how long before she SHOULD poop. 

If there is a probiotic you recommend, I'm in!  You've probably talked about one before...

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 01:11:19 PM »
I'm so sorry Lilly's having issues (and poor Jenkins!)!  At least now you know who, and are working on getting her back to rights.  thumbsup1 If you want to speed up the process of getting her to poop, and are comfortable with it, you could give her more food.

If there is a probiotic you recommend, I'm in!  You've probably talked about one before...

I was thinking plain yogurt, but don't know if that would be a good idea since some cat's can't handle lactose.  This the one I gave Pookie:   
http://www.thewholisticpet.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=probiotic.  You just mix it in the food.

Crossing fingers and paws that Lilly feels better soon fingerscrossed, and grouphug for you.  She'll be okay.  She WILL be okay.

HangInThere
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 01:30:39 PM »

This one is the one I give the boys simply because it's easiest for me to obtain:  http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-super-probiotic-digestive-support-capsules/ID=prod6028521-product
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 01:36:59 AM »
Sorry to hear about the kitty issues Lola. All cats can benefit from probiotics, just make sure you get the kind that has S. boulardii  in it.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 08:10:50 AM »
Mazy cat takes S. Boulardii in the morning:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014TBTTW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And Proviable DC in the evening:

http://www.entirelypets.com/proviable80c.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=proviable%20dc%20for%20cats&utm_content=6134621616&utm_campaign=EP_Brand_Proviable-DC

Jennie and Queen Eva take Natural Factors Double Strength(Queen Eva takes a half capsule with her morning raw meal every day, Jennie gets a whole capsule every other evening with her prey model supper meal):

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00028P5PU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 04:23:54 PM »
How's Lilly doing?

Sending purrs . . .  CatPurr

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 01:46:27 AM »
I have been giving her small inbetween canned meals with added water.
She pooped sometime after 2 am last night.
Before she pooped, I read on LittleBigCat.com to give an 1/8 tsp of Miralax. I picked some of it up yesterday...just in case. 
I let her out of lock-down, but am probably going to put her back in later today....just to make sure all continues to go well.  She isn't "talking," and she is normally a non-stop yapper.  That has me a little concerned. 
Thanks for all the well wishes and probiotics info... so much to pick from! 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 05:08:47 AM »
All paws crossed that Lilly is much better today.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 03:41:18 PM »
Maybe she's just not speaking to you because she was in solitary.   :D

All paws crossed that Lilly is much better today.

Ditto!   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 11:27:13 PM »
The stinker came out of lock-down and went right to a cat tree... to one of the shelves that only has enough room for one cat.  Meaning not enough room for Jenkins to snuggle with her. 
Anyway, she seems to be better.  She "talked" to me this afternoon, and there has not been any spit ups.  I haven't put her back into lock-down yet to further monitor her poops.  I want to for my peace of mind, but...
Lilly shouldn't have any further issues, if we stick to our original rotation protein plan.
Just curious of what you all thought of the Miralax recommendation from LittleBigCat?  She also recommends petroleum jelly... which I won't use. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 11:28:36 PM »
PS
Not to be a lazy turd, but... isn't there a "one does it all" kind of probiotic for cats?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 11:41:41 PM »
PSS  ;)

Lilly is sitting in hubby's lap right now.  Jenkins missed her so much, he was willing to join her ...even if it meant sitting in a human's lap!  That is a HUGE move for Jenkins. 

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 02:01:08 AM »
Glad Lilly is feeling better, I think the Miralax is good, but just find a probiotic with  S. boulardii in it.  ibdkitties.net has some recommendations on her site :)
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Tags: