Author Topic: Cleaning ears?  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
Cleaning ears?
« on: January 14, 2018, 06:32:57 AM »
I'm not sure where this should go, it's kind of a grooming question, and kind of not.

I just noticed that Lucy has some brown wax in her ears.  It is not a huge amount, or I would have spotted it sooner, but no one else has it, so I know it should not be there.  It is not smelly.  Can someone tell me how to clean her ears at home, with natural ingredients?  I know that excess wax can be a sign of ear mites, but I can't imagine where she would have gotten them.  Whatever it is, I want to try cleaning her up myself, and if the problem persists, she will need to go to the vet.  I know not to use swabs or anything that could push the wax in more deeply, or damage her ears, and I would like to avoid harsh chemicals, as well. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Cleaning ears?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 07:39:57 AM »
I use saline solution.  The stuff contact lens wearers use to soak their lenses.  (Vet recommended it)

She also recommended a brand of ear wash called Zymox, which I bought but never used.  I prefer the saline solution.  I sit the bottle in warm water until it is just up to human temp (you can tell by squirting some on your wrist)

Then I put kitty in holding position* tell her what I am doing and why.  Takes a bit of practice to get good at it.  Do it on a floor not a carpet because the floor will get wet. :)

Mazy cat has/had chronic ear problems all her life until I put her on ACV. (ACV in the food not in the ears)

* Holding position: Kneel on floor with your feet crossed behind you, kitty between your knees facing out.  Have some kind of a treat ready to offer, one for before and one for after the procedure.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 03:16:08 PM »
I use saline solution.  The stuff contact lens wearers use to soak their lenses.  (Vet recommended it)

She also recommended a brand of ear wash called Zymox, which I bought but never used.  I prefer the saline solution.  I sit the bottle in warm water until it is just up to human temp (you can tell by squirting some on your wrist)

Then I put kitty in holding position* tell her what I am doing and why.  Takes a bit of practice to get good at it.  Do it on a floor not a carpet because the floor will get wet. :)

Mazy cat has/had chronic ear problems all her life until I put her on ACV. (ACV in the food not in the ears)

* Holding position: Kneel on floor with your feet crossed behind you, kitty between your knees facing out.  Have some kind of a treat ready to offer, one for before and one for after the procedure.

Fortunately, this is something I always have on hand, as I wear contacts, and always buy solution in a twin-pack.  Does it matter what brand?  The kind is use is called Opti-Free puremoist.  How much do I want to use, and once I get it in there, do I massage the ear, or try to wipe it out, or just leave it alone?  How often should I do it?

I haven't noticed this problem before with her, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.  It's not a huge amount of brown wax, but I know it shouldn't be there.  I'll have to watch her ears more closely.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 03:56:54 PM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 03:49:56 PM »
I just give a good squirt, and hope it makes it's way into the ear.  Yes, then I massage the ear a bit, if kitty will allow it.

Oh by the way I forgot one thing.  If the wax build up is heavy or old, a few drops of mineral oil in the ear to loosen it may be needed. Put the drops in, then massage. Then wait a few hours before flushing out.

Vet always advised wiping out the ear with a little gauze after, but I've never bothered with that.  I figure it will work it's way out and kitty will wash it away when she washes. But you cuold certainly do so, if you prefer.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 04:24:02 PM »
I just give a good squirt, and hope it makes it's way into the ear.  Yes, then I massage the ear a bit, if kitty will allow it.

Oh by the way I forgot one thing.  If the wax build up is heavy or old, a few drops of mineral oil in the ear to loosen it may be needed. Put the drops in, then massage. Then wait a few hours before flushing out.

Vet always advised wiping out the ear with a little gauze after, but I've never bothered with that.  I figure it will work it's way out and kitty will wash it away when she washes. But you cuold certainly do so, if you prefer.

Brand doesn't matter?  If it needs to be plain saline, I will get some tomorrow. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 04:35:37 PM »
Plain saline.  I use Equate (Walmart brand) saline solution for sensitive eyes. I mean, the ingredient list is not just "saline", but I think all the things in it are okay to put in a cat's ears.  At least, my girls have never had any adverse reactions.  I haven't had to use it in a long time.

I think the raw diet, and especially the ACV for Mazy cat, has made the difference.

Edit - I looked up the Opti-Free.  I wouldn't use that.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 05:29:26 PM »
Plain saline.  I use Equate (Walmart brand) saline solution for sensitive eyes. I mean, the ingredient list is not just "saline", but I think all the things in it are okay to put in a cat's ears.  At least, my girls have never had any adverse reactions.  I haven't had to use it in a long time.

I think the raw diet, and especially the ACV for Mazy cat, has made the difference.

Edit - I looked up the Opti-Free.  I wouldn't use that.

Glad I asked.  Looking at the ingredients, something made me think, no.  I will get plain saline tomorrow, and some mineral oil, just in case I need it. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 05:31:40 PM by Catgirl64 »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 09:06:04 AM »
Any update?

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 11:21:49 AM »
The saline works well.  I haven't used any mineral oil yet, and don't think I will need to. 

Tags: