Author Topic: A Word Of Caution On Adding Hemp Oil To Your Pet's Diet!  (Read 1673 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
A Word Of Caution On Adding Hemp Oil To Your Pet's Diet!
« on: April 04, 2017, 12:46:01 PM »

Before you start adding hemp oil to your dog’s meals, there’s a couple of things you should first know.

Hemp seed oil is a polyunsaturated fat, which means the oil is unstable. If you cook your dog’s food, you won’t want to add hemp seed oil to the food while cooking as this can cause the oil to become rancid and cause health issues in your dog.

In addition, if your dog is eating a poultry-based diet, adding hemp seed oil may cause an imbalance in his diet because chicken is already quite high in polyunsaturated fats and linoleic acid. According to Steve Brown, author of Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet, flaxseed oil is a better choice for chicken-based diets.

But if your dog is eating a diet rich in beef and other ruminants, then hemp seed oil is a great way to balance the diet, alongside your dog’s regular fish or fish oil.

From: http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/hemp-for-dogs-should-you-use-it/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: A Word Of Caution On Adding Hemp Oil To Your Pet's Diet!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 03:04:15 PM »
Sounds a bit odd, BUT I'm pretty warn out.  Maybe it will make more sense later.   Silly7
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 05:03:26 PM »
There are a few in the IBD group who have been using it for their cats.  Too radical for me.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 05:54:35 PM »
Sounds a bit odd, BUT I'm pretty warn out.  Maybe it will make more sense later.   Silly7

1. Don't heat it.

2. You can cause an imbalance in their diet if you feed with chicken. Beef and other ruminants are fine.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 06:23:57 PM »
1. Don't heat it.

2. You can cause an imbalance in their diet if you feed with chicken. Beef and other ruminants are fine.

It wasn't that info that seemed odd.  lol  The entire idea of it all just seems so far out to me.   crystalbluehippy
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 06:31:28 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 08:05:32 PM »
It wasn't that info that seemed odd.  lol  The entire idea of it all just seems so far out to me.   crystalbluehippy

Companies are falling on the CBD bandwagon in every way they can. You can get hemp seeds, hemp oil, hemp milk, hemp bars and the CBD extract products for medical issues. Supposedly the oil has a lot of the good aspects that the CBD extract products have.

Having Omega 3's and 6's in the perfect ratio is also a big plus. I might consider some of it occasionally, but it being a polyunsaturated fat kind of concerns me, though we're not supposed to have to worry about cholesterol and other things very much with dogs. I don't know about cats and polyunsaturated fats.

Tags: