Author Topic: Need advice  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Need advice
« on: December 22, 2011, 11:07:47 AM »
The last couple of years my vet gave Pookie a waiver so he wouldn't have to get his rabies vaccine.  It wasn't really necessary since it was during the 3 years that the vaccine covered anyway.  This year, the vet gave me a hard time about it and apparently, this is the last time he'll give me a waiver.

Pookie is strictly indoor, has no desire to go outside, I don't have a chimney for bats to come in, and there's no way he could get into the attic or bats could get in through the attic to the main house.  So I don't see the point in him getting another shot, esp. since he seems to have some food allergies and the label says it's to be used in healthy animals only (no acute or chronic illnesses).  I'm also concerned because I truly think that over-vaccination played a role in the problems his sister had, even though I have no proof of that.  So I'm left with a choice to make:

1.  take him back to this vet and refuse to get him vaccinated, and not get the waiver.  There's the possibility that he'll refuse to provide any services for Pookie at all (I've heard of a holistic vet who's doing this), in which case I'll need to go elsewhere.
2.  try to find another vet in the area who will understand my concerns and provide a waiver.  What are the odds?
3.  go to another vet in the area and just not raise the issue at all.  I'm sure it will come up eventually, though, and it feels dishonest to me.
4.  Go to various vets in the area so no one figures it out.  Problem is he's not getting consistent care from someone familiar with him.
5. Not take him to a vet at all unless there’s an emergency.  What I don’t like about this option is that means no annual check-ups, so if there’s a problem developing it wouldn’t be detected early.

I’m at a loss here.  I’m tired of trying to find a vet who has a clue and will listen to me.  The only reason I kept going to this one was because he hadn’t been pushy about the vaccines (until now, which makes me think he’s hurting financially) and he has an answering service so I can reach him in an emergency.  I’m in a very rural area and the nearest ER is about 45 min – 1 hour away.

I’m home for the rest of the year, so if I look for another vet, this is the time to do it.  I’d appreciate your input.  Some folks I’ve spoken to don’t even take their cat to a vet, and I’m torn because on one hand it seems irresponsible to not get him checked, but I can’t bring myself to get him vaccinated.  I was in tears when I left his appointment because I swore when I lost his sister that I would never let Pookie get a vaccine again.  Shoot, I’m crying now . . .

Thanks, all.

2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
    • CatCentric - Your place for all things cats!
Re: Need advice
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 11:25:23 AM »
I truly hate to see my cats get those shots. HATE IT. But I love my cat-only practice and especially the Dr. who cares for my cats (he freely acknowledges that I know more about nutrition than he does, and he doesn't give me any guff about raw feeding my cats).

My initial solution was to have my kitties titer tested; if the tests confirmed they were still covered by the last vaccine, then everyone would have been happy. Unfortunately, my state doesn't recognize titer tests as valid and won't accept their results ($@&*#). My current solution is to bring them in every three years for a check up, instead of annually. It's not ideal, but it's all I could come up with for now.

AC
AC's Crew: Allen, Rachel, Meghan, Spencer, Heather & Ralph

CatCentric.org: A feline nutrition, raw feeding, cat care, health & behavior blog & resource site.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 03:43:23 PM »
Is the rabies shot required by law in your state, or is it just the vet's requirement?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 04:52:02 PM »
Wish I had more to offer  grouphug  but FWIW, a vote for #2

2.  try to find another vet in the area who will understand my concerns and provide a waiver.  What are the odds?

Dr Jean Hofve may have colleagues she knows in your area, or may (?) have a directory of Veterinarians "on the same page" as you/her.  She did have a petition earlier this year for vets to sign regarding the Oath revision and may know of someone in your area who shares her philosophies.  She is very gracious when answering inquiries and comments. You never know...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 05:12:53 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 05:49:44 PM »
Hi Lola -- it's the law in my state, however I would think that if there are health concerns, the vet can provide a waiver, esp. since my current vet did (even though Pookie was still considered covered by the last vaccine).  He (and his sister) got vaccinated yearly for 5 years running (in the scruff of the neck, no less) . . . I'm pretty sure he's covered.  I'm looking forward to the results of the Rabies Challenge in 2 years . . .

Thanks, CC.  I thought about contacting Dr. Jean, I just haven't had the chance.  Hopefully over the next couple of days . . .

I'm torn between being open/honest to a new vet and just playing dumb (oh, his vaccination records?  I forgot them at home . . .)  It's not my nature to do the latter, but to protect him, I will.  Sigh . . .
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 06:47:09 PM »
Hi Lola -- it's the law in my state,

:(

Sorry. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org