Author Topic: Shadow back from the Vet  (Read 11081 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Shadow back from the Vet
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2011, 09:11:57 PM »

She noticed before when their cat got sick, it was everytime they were at the end of the bag of Evo. Well im at the end of my bag, lots of crumbs, and it expires next month. I give them this as a treat sometimes about 5 pieces.      The day before they got sick, I remember giving Wilson a bit more before I went to work, this could be the culprit!! its in the garbage!!

If I remember correctly, you feed dry as a snack?  If so, it probably takes you a long time to get through a bag.  I remember reading (on a dog site somewhere) that dry food can grow bacteria (in a bag or container) after a while.  I would assume the same would go for dry cat food.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2011, 09:49:45 PM »
If I remember correctly, you feed dry as a snack?  If so, it probably takes you a long time to get through a bag.  I remember reading (on a dog site somewhere) that dry food can grow bacteria (in a bag or container) after a while.  I would assume the same would go for dry cat food.
Yup Evo WAS their treat, its in the garbage now, and that is what I think was the problem.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2011, 09:55:26 PM »
Yup Evo WAS their treat, its in the garbage now, and that is what I think was the problem.

The variables "in the mix"... can often lead to a LOT of  pullingouthair

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2011, 05:56:07 PM »
Shadow, heard this today, and thought of you.  :-*

Had to take Smokey to the vet this aft, to get her stitches out. She was very goody about it, and the vet said it healed up nicely, didn't even charge me to take her stitches out. As long as the radio is on, she is quiet, does not cry at all, doesn't matter if it is a song, or just someone talking. 

It was the John Tesh infamercials, or whatever they are called, he was talking about inflammation, so I thought of Shadow and listened.  He said something about omega 3's, which is fish oil, which that I already knew. He also mentioned foodies that is high in magnesium and copper, which that, you would have to do research on, to see if it is safe for kitties, and how much you can safely give. He said, stay away from foodies that have processed white flour, which, we knows, grains isn't goody for kitties, so if you can, a grain free, foodies, ah...
all fixed, thru proper nutrition, thats how Bump got fixed, he is no longer on any medicines.

Now, maybe, I can get back to getting ready for the show, mol.  thumbsup1 bumpgif   

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2011, 09:13:30 PM »
Shadow,
How have your kitties been doing?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2011, 09:25:29 PM »
Shadow,
How have your kitties been doing?

I was just coming in to ask the same thing!

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2011, 01:31:40 AM »
Shadow and Wilson are back to normal now, yippee, such a relief. thumbsup1
and thanks everone for all your support :)

On another note I really feel it was the kibble that was about to expire next month, since I only feed it as a treat once in a while it takes a long time to go through even a 3lb bag. I wont be buying it again. I will buy the small tester bags (they are actually free at the pet store)
My brother and sister in law feed their cat the same thing as a treat and had this problem with their cat too a few times, as soon as it got to the bottom of the bag.
They are wanting me to ask you guys how do you think they should store it? In a plastic container in the fridge or freezer?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2011, 07:07:15 AM »
I'm glad they are both feeling better!

Kibble should not be stored in plastic.  I store kibble-for-snacks in the original packaging, held closed with a clip and tied in a grocery bag. I buy the small bags since I go through so slowly.  The portion in use is stored in small pyrex glass bowls with lids.  I only keep a small amount out at a time.  When the portion bowl is empty I scrub it with a brush under scalding hot water and let it air dry before putting more in.

I too take a very long time to get through a bag.  Also like you I noticed that Evo has a lot of bits and crumbs and I am very unhappy about that.  When I am paying $5 a pound for kibble I expect it to be in whole pieces. I plan to write to the company and let them know. I have only one on Evo grain free herring and salmon, she doesn't get it every day, only on the days when she is eating the Before Grain Beef canned, because she doesn't eat as much of that, so needs something to fill out her food quota for the day. I chose this brand and flavor because it doesn't contain any chicken.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2011, 08:05:39 AM »
and thanks everone for all your support :)

On another note I really feel it was the kibble that was about to expire next month, since I only feed it as a treat once in a while it takes a long time to go through even a 3lb bag. I wont be buying it again. I will buy the small tester bags (they are actually free at the pet store)
My brother and sister in law feed their cat the same thing as a treat and had this problem with their cat too a few times, as soon as it got to the bottom of the bag.
They are wanting me to ask you guys how do you think they should store it? In a plastic container in the fridge or freezer?

Sooooooo glad to hear Shadow and Wilson are doing well!   :-*
To store the snack, I would leave it in the original container - but store it in an air tight container.  Away from heat and moisture. 

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2011, 09:04:22 AM »

happydance1 yaygif multistars woohoogif

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2011, 09:12:18 AM »
Sooooooo glad to hear Shadow and Wilson are doing well!   :-*
To store the snack, I would leave it in the original container - but store it in an air tight container.  Away from heat and moisture.  

May I recommend Lock & Locks?  ;D These things are great, IMO.  

(Crossing fingers they don't go down the tanker in quality, for saying ^that  :-X )

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2011, 11:50:11 AM »
I'm glad they are both feeling better!

Kibble should not be stored in plastic.  I store kibble-for-snacks in the original packaging, held closed with a clip and tied in a grocery bag. I buy the small bags since I go through so slowly.  The portion in use is stored in small pyrex glass bowls with lids.  I only keep a small amount out at a time.  When the portion bowl is empty I scrub it with a brush under scalding hot water and let it air dry before putting more in.

I too take a very long time to get through a bag.  Also like you I noticed that Evo has a lot of bits and crumbs and I am very unhappy about that.  When I am paying $5 a pound for kibble I expect it to be in whole pieces. I plan to write to the company and let them know. I have only one on Evo grain free herring and salmon, she doesn't get it every day, only on the days when she is eating the Before Grain Beef canned, because she doesn't eat as much of that, so needs something to fill out her food quota for the day. I chose this brand and flavor because it doesn't contain any chicken.
But isnt the bag plastic??  So they shouldnt put it in the fridge either??

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2011, 01:40:02 PM »
 yaygif coolgif2 tiggerbounce dancingbanana bananamiddlechild multistars partyballoons

I'm so glad they're feeling better!!!!!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: