Author Topic: The Cat Food Of Your Dreams?  (Read 4613 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
The Cat Food Of Your Dreams?
« on: July 07, 2011, 11:33:23 PM »
Paw Lickin' Chicken – With Chicken in Gravy
Available in 3.0oz and 5.5oz

Give me an order of chicken breast, hold the veggies, hold the grains. In fact, hold everything. And while you’re at it, make it free of added antibiotics, free of added hormones and free range. Lick those paws clean with our boneless, skinless, white breast chicken in a sumptuous gravy... for the finickiest of felines!

Ingredients
Chicken (Boneless, Skinless, White Breast), Water Sufficient For Processing, Potato Starch, Sunflower Seed Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement.
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 10%, Crude Fat (min) 1.4%, Crude Fiber (max) 0.5%, Moisture (max) 85%, Ash (max) 1.2%, Taurine (min) 0.05%, Calcium (max) 0.20%, Phosphorus (max) 0.17%, Magnesium (max) 0.018%

Calories: 3.0oz Can 46, 5.5oz Can 84

Average Analysis:
Crude Protein 12%, Crude Fat 1.7%, Crude Fiber 0.06%, Moisture 79%, Ash 0.74%, Phosphorus 0.14%
Calories: 3.0oz Can 59, 5.5oz Can 108

http://www.weruva.com/cat-cuisine-paw-lickin-chicken.php
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Re: The Cat Food Of Your Dreams?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 01:03:18 AM »
Wet Cat food of my dreams would not have potato starch, or sunflower seed oil. Also it would contain more calories, those Weruva tins I would have to feed a lot of them in a day to get the right amount of calories in my cat.
I would have a wet food with Turkey for example, rabbit, or chicken ( not sourced from China) no vegies or fruits, and no tapioca, or potato.
Oh and did I mention for a fair price!!!
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 01:18:30 AM »
Wet Cat food of my dreams would not have potato starch, or sunflower seed oil. Also it would contain more calories, those Weruva tins I would have to feed a lot of them in a day to get the right amount of calories in my cat.
I would have a wet food with Turkey for example, rabbit, or chicken ( not sourced from China) no vegies or fruits, and no tapioca, or potato.
Oh and did I mention for a fair price!!!

This is one of the foods (this flavor only) that I add to a bigger can, of another brand....to "mix up" the ingredients and not go broke.  

I'm not personally a fan of fruits and veggies in cat food, but I've read here and there different explanations..for and against.  If it isn't one thing, it is another.  It shouldn't be THIS difficult to feed a pet a decent meal.    bangsheadgif
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 02:37:52 PM by Lola, Reason: corrected spelling »

Offline Pinball

• Yapper
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 01:40:53 AM »
Apart from some of the ingredients (e.g. potato starch), I personally would like a food with a higher fat content and more taurine (though to be fair you could add some more later). Also, the crude ash content appears to be a little low. I would also prefer a food that doesn't use chicken breast.

Personally, I don't mind if the food contains SOME veg or grain but it is all about the proportion!

And yes, Lola, it is surprisingly hard to find a good food that ticks most, if not all, of the boxes. But I cannot believe you are struggling to find something decent in what from our perspective is the land of plenty cat food!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 01:54:36 AM »

And yes, Lola, it is surprisingly hard to find a good food that ticks most, if not all, of the boxes. But I cannot believe you are struggling to find something decent in what from our perspective is the land of plenty cat food!

My problem isn't just finding a decent food, but finding a decent food in larger cans (more affordable when feeding a large feline family), a decent food that ALL the felines like, and can tolerate. 

Offline Pinball

• Yapper
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 05:52:58 AM »
My problem isn't just finding a decent food, but finding a decent food in larger cans (more affordable when feeding a large feline family), a decent food that ALL the felines like, and can tolerate. 

Not asking for much then!  :D

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 12:55:31 PM »
Not asking for much then!  :D

stickouttongue     ;)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 01:36:37 PM »

Yes.  I have four cats and each cat is on a different diet.  Partly because of likes/dislikes, but also because of health issues.

The cat whom I would like to have on the grain free Weruva and Soulistic, because the caloric content is so low, refuses to eat them.  She is about 5 years old (it's a guess) slightly chubby, because she seems to have a very slow metabolism, but I can't feed her any less than I already do, she has terrible food anxiety, probably from being a stray for so long. She is not finicky about ANY foods, except Weruva and Soulistic, doesn't it figure.

She likes the Merrick Before Grain pate, which while not as high in calories as Wellness, is still up there. (but at least doesn't contain all those useless fruits and veggies).  She likes the Avoderm chicken, and that is low in calories but I don't like to feed that very often because of the avocado, and when the case is used up I won't be repeating it.  She likes the Castor and Pollux chicken but that has grains in it, and she gets constipated when she has grains.

The cat who eats the Soulistic and Weruva could use extra calories, but he is a very picky eater and won't eat the higher calorie Merrick BG pate, except once in a very great while as a snack. He is naturally slender and has always been a self regulator, never EVER going above 180 calories a day.  But since he prefers these lower calorie foods, and is picky even about eating enough of them, I sometimes have to give him a kibble snack, currently Blue Healthy Living adult holistic kibble.

The cat who can't have any chicken at all would love to eat the Soulistic and Weruva, but she has a physical intolerance to chicken.  She is a small cat to begin with but is currently at least one pound underweight (weighed today), she's only 6 pounds,  as I struggle with finding a diet that works for her. 

She is only one year old.  Currently she is getting Merrick Before Grain Beef only, with EVO grain free herring and salmon kibble as snack incentive, because sometimes she just won't eat enough, and the Evo is very high in protein and fat. I'd let The Boy have the EVO as snack too, but he vomits it, so he still gets the Blue, when I am handing out kibble snacks.

Finally there is my FLUTD kitty, who is not in the least bit finicky, EXCEPT for the prescription canned food of course, so she is stuck eating Hills Prescription c/d kibble, which she doens't mind, and the other cats always want to steal.  She would like to have the Merrick Before Grain, but when she does, the crystals come back..

It's a good thing I have no life, LOL!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 02:02:56 PM »
I "gave" (the majority) diarrhea last week jerking around with food brands/flavors.  We ALWAYS end up back with Wellness, and a small can of another brand mixed in.  The other brand, THIS week, is Weruva chicken.
As far as the calories in Wellness, all the felines have done VERY well.  The ones at a good weight have remained there, and the fatties lost weight.  
My "dream" is to rotate the larger canned sizes of brands/flavors... I had them at 3 for a while...and then all heck broke lose.
Felidae Grain Free has (had) a grain free.  All the felines did well with that.  The company is in the process of changing the packaging.  Can't get any (in town) right now.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 04:05:39 PM »
I too need the bigger cans, hard to find.  It seems that everytime I feed the Wet Felidae grain free ( not very often) my cats drink lots of water, hmmmmm...can we say salt??? MOL!!
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 04:34:02 PM »
I too need the bigger cans, hard to find.  It seems that everytime I feed the Wet Felidae grain free ( not very often) my cats drink lots of water, hmmmmm...can we say salt??? MOL!!

There is ALWAYS an ingredient, in every food, that makes me  Bumpurr1.  Picking the lessor of the evils has me  pullingouthair

For anyone interested, this is the ingredients list for the grain free Felidae:
Natural Ingredients with Added Vitamins, Minerals, and Trace Nutrients
Chicken, chicken broth, chicken liver, turkey, lamb, ocean fish, potatoes, peas, carrageenen, guar gum, locust bean gum, flaxseed oil (source of Omega-3 Fatty Acids), dicalcium phosphate, salt, sunflower oil (source of Omega-6 Fatty Acids), potassium chloride, suncured alfalfa meal, calcium sulfate, lecithin, beta-carotene, sage extract, rosemary extract, cranberries, yucca schidigera extract, choline chloride, taurine, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, niacin, vitamin E supplement, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, sodium selenite, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, vitamin B-12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 04:45:17 PM »
<sigh>  too many premium foods are passing off sunflower oil and flax as a good source of Omega 3 and 6.  Yes, they may be, for humans.  But cats' bodies are not designed to process plant matter, so while the food may be a "good source" of Omega 3 & 6, it's not going to do kitty any good. If it's not fish oil, it's useless to kitty.