Author Topic: About Cats In My Vet's Newsletter  (Read 1696 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
About Cats In My Vet's Newsletter
« on: April 07, 2015, 02:05:51 PM »
A New Study Shows that Vomiting in Cats is often a Sign of Serious Disease

http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/news-blogs/a-vets-life/a-new-study-shows-vomiting-cats-often-a-sign-serious-disease

Most cat guardians and many veterinarians probably consider regular vomiting of food, bile or hairballs “normal” for a cat. Yet, recent research challenges these long-held assumptions, and warns us to take vomiting seriously.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: About Cats In My Vet's Newsletter
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 04:16:56 PM »
The article would have been more helpful, if it had mentioned kibble is USUALLY the cause of regular vomiting... and the reason for the physical damage. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 04:43:07 PM »
The article would have been more helpful, if it had mentioned kibble is USUALLY the cause of regular vomiting... and the reason for the physical damage. 

I thought so too, but I figured it was at least SOME progress that they're admitting, at all, that it's not normal.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 05:39:55 PM »
Following....

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 09:23:05 PM »
A New Study Shows that Vomiting in Cats is often a Sign of Serious Disease

http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/news-blogs/a-vets-life/a-new-study-shows-vomiting-cats-often-a-sign-serious-disease

sarcasmalert  Gee, no kidding!  You mean Nature didn't design cats to hork on a regular basis?

All sarcasm aside, this is what drove me nuts when I went through the 5-6 years of h-ll with Pookie and his sister.  If they were human children throwing up that much, they'd have been admitted to an ER and tested out the wazoo.  But cats?  Nahhh, that was "normal."  ???  >:(
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 03:34:44 AM »
When a DVM tells a person frequent barfing is normal... how the HECK did "we" all accept that? 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 11:55:32 AM »
When a DVM tells a person frequent barfing is normal... how the HECK did "we" all accept that? 

Your question may have been rhetorical, but for my part, it was because I'd never had cats before, and assUmeD that because the vets went to school, they knew more and this was common.  Plus I had other non-vet people tell me that it was normal, or that I "must have sick cats."  Who was I to question everyone?  Unfortunately, I didn't have the confidence at the time to push back.  But as the barfing happened more and more, I got scared that eventually it would lead to esophageal cancer, and kept looking.  I just wish it hadn't taken so long to find the answers.  But I will always be grateful to the person who pointed me in the right direction, and to catnutrition.org and catinfo.org for FINALLY shining the light on what was causing the problem.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 12:01:40 PM »
and assUmeD that because the vets went to school, they knew more

Bingo!

Tags: