Author Topic: Class Action Suit Headed Banfield's Way  (Read 2656 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Class Action Suit Headed Banfield's Way
« on: November 10, 2013, 01:13:35 AM »
http://www.courthousenews.com/2013/11/07/62725.htm

Their "wellness" plans not being what they are supposed to be, and their up-selling of unnecessary BS.

Snip...

LOS ANGELES (CN) - The Banfield Pet Hospital veterinary chain aggressively upsells unnecessary services, so the discounts it also offers "evaporate," a pet owner claims in a federal class action.
     Lead plaintiff Gregory Pero sued Medical Management International dba Banfield Pet Hospital, on behalf of customers served through Banfield outlets in PetSmart stores nationwide.
     PetSmart is not a named party in the complaint, though Pero notes that the company owns a minority interest in Banfield.
     Candy conglomerate Mars - which makes M&Ms, Twix and Skittles candies as well as the Pedigree and Whiskas pet food brands - owns the majority stake, Pero says.
     Pero says he "holds these truths to be self-evident: (a) Pet care providers should be honest about the true costs of their products and services, and (b) pet care providers should not upsell unnecessary pet care."
     But the pet patriot declares that Banfield does not adhere to these self-evident truths when it comes to its "Optimum Wellness Plan," which has more than 1 million pet enrollees.
     "Banfield aggressively markets, advertises and sells the plans that purport to offer deep savings and discounts for preventative pet care services and related pet care products," Pero says in the lawsuit.
     "Banfield does not provide the promised savings and discounts under its plan, and Banfield upsells unnecessary pet care to its clients. This class action seeks to remedy: (a) Banfield's deceptive marketing of savings and discounts under the plan, and (b) Banfield's deceptive and coercive upselling of additional pet care products and services. Banfield's conduct violates consumer protection laws in California and nationwide."
     Pero says the plan includes physical exams, vaccines and diagnostic tests for dogs and cats. More expensive plans include higher-level care, but all are tailored to puppies, kittens and adult dogs and cats.
     Banfield's employees push the plans by promising discounts on other products and services, which are advertised in print and on the company website, but those savings are rarely realized, Pero claims.

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Class Action Suit Headed Banfield's Way
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 01:17:58 AM »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 10:46:48 AM »
I'm not sure why people still don't believe the old adage, "You can't get something for nothing." 

That place would have to be the only ones open on earth; I couldn't get hold of their vets at all; and something wrong about them scared me to death before I took them there.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 06:15:18 PM »
It wasn't for nothing.  The costly yearly plan was supposed to provide discounted services.  Unfortunately, discounted services = up-selling. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 07:00:03 PM »
I was referring to the woman with the first entry in the complaint link:

Following are my personal experience and opinion. Using Banfield's coupon for a "free exam,"

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 02:36:32 AM »
We have friends who use Banfield, and swear they are completely happy with them.
This, in spite of the fact that their vets told them they had a dog that was "allergic to protein" and put the dog on a vegetarian diet.  I tried to tell them it's impossible for a carnivore to be allergic to protein, that it was most likely the soy in the commercial foods.  But they were deaf to it, trusting the word of their expensive vets.  The poor dog lost so much weight on that veggie food, it was frightening.  She lived for several years, but she was always just a tiny bag of bones.   :(
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 04:35:29 AM »
What a horrible story, FMM!  Poor dog…

Tags: banfield petsmart Mars