Author Topic: Does anyone use any type of room air purifier?  (Read 2763 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Does anyone use any type of room air purifier?
« on: December 15, 2017, 05:30:56 AM »
I was looking at this one but there are no reviews

http://shop.mercola.com/product/2019/room-air-purifier

« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 01:23:37 PM by Lola, Reason: correct subject per OP »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Does anyone use any time of room air purifier?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 08:55:49 AM »
I can't imagine that little thing doing much good... even in a room the size of a camper shell.  BUT I could be wrong.  I also find Mercola products to often be over-priced.  Just my two cents.
Many years ago we had room purifiers, due to my son's allergies to cat dander and asthma. 
I searched online for several months to learn what a person wanted and didn't want in an air purifier.  Then I read reviews.  Reviews not written on company websites.  Companies can filter out the reviews they don't want visible. 
I also obtained info from Consumer Reports.
Unfortunately, the brand I decided on is no longer around. 
If it helps any... I kept going back on forth on the brand I chose and Honeywell purifiers.  Maybe look at Honeywell?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 10:16:43 AM »
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:19:17 AM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 10:22:47 AM »
PS
I signed up for Consumer Reports for one month.  If I can help...

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 11:33:12 AM »
The one thing I know is, you need to make absolutely sure that the cleaner you get doesn't produce ozone.

https://www.airpurifiers.com/pages/ozone
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 11:41:36 AM »
The one thing I know is, you need to make absolutely sure that the cleaner you get doesn't produce ozone.

https://www.airpurifiers.com/pages/ozone

I am fairly sure those are a LOT less popular now.  They are referred to as Ionizers... just a heads up for MC.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 12:12:06 PM »
The mercola one actually claims that the reason it is so great is because it produces ozone.  I can see I am not going to get very far with this - again. I've tried before to search on these, but I give up after a while in frustration with the conflicting information.

But Thank you all I do appreciate all the opinions and input and links.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 01:39:47 PM »
After looking around... ionizers are NOT so uncommon after all.  Looks like they are just less "advertised" as ionizers.  Worse...MFG info doesn't seem to always be clear either. 

Is this model (Honeywell 50250-s) also an ionizer that may also produce ozone?
https://www.honeywellstore.com/store/products/honeywell-50250-true-hepa-germ-fighting-allergen-reducer-air-purifier.htm

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 01:43:38 PM »
I can see I am not going to get very far with this - again. I've tried before to search on these, but I give up after a while in frustration with the conflicting information.

Until my new allergist, I lived with an inhaler on me just in case. We had one of those Ionic Breezes for a few months somewhere around 2005-2007. My asthma was a LOT worse with that thing in the house. My PCP is the one that told me those things aren't good for people when we were discussing why my asthma was so much worse. (I was bragging to him, "But I've even got an air filter now.")

THAT is why I know that having ozone pumped into your house is a bad thing--at least for some people. I'm not sure how it would be now that I'm not eating a lot of allergens anymore, but I'm not going to order another one just to see.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 02:47:57 PM »
The one I linked to above.... you are smart.  Are there keywords they use instead of "ionizer" or "ozone?"  There is a lot of info saying it is a carpy one, but there is info saying it isn't.  The website is useless...for me anyway. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 03:01:02 PM »
The one I linked to above.... you are smart.  Are there keywords they use instead of "ionizer" or "ozone?"  There is a lot of info saying it is a carpy one, but there is info saying it isn't.  The website is useless...for me anyway. 

I THINK that the fact that it says it kills germs and removes odors indicates that it releases Ozone. I'm not going to swear to it, but I think that's an indicator. I know an ionizer has a ridiculously clean smell coming out of it.

https://www.oransi.com/ozone-air-purifier-s/187.htm

That page lists (of course they're selling their product in their explanation) one that's HEPA only, and it does NOT say it kills germs:

https://www.oransi.com/oransi-ov200-air-purifier-p/ov200.htm

But also notice, they have some models that they say removes mold spores and germs. So yeah. I think killing germs and odor removal are some of the buzzwords that indicate an ionizer.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 03:25:26 PM »
Here's the Mercola sales pitch

http://airpurifier.mercola.com/
The Photo Catalytic Oxidation technology in our air purifiers destroys biological contaminates and it produces purifying plasma to eliminate odors, minor mold, bacteria and viruses.
An active approach to air purification, Needlepoint Ionization travels to the pollutants in every corner and every surface in every room, rather than waiting for contaminants to enter the purifier.

Scalable Activated Oxygen Purification uses activated oxygen, or ozone, to purify and clean your air. Another active method of air purification, activated oxygen neutralizes odors instead of masking them like with toxic air fresheners.

Ozone is highly reactive so when it “cleans” or oxidizes an air pollutant, it loses one of its oxygen atoms and turns back into pure oxygen (O2). In fact, its half-life is very short – the amount of ozone in your air decreases by 50 percent in only 20 minutes!

As effective as it may be, some people have concerns about ozone. But once they have a clear understanding of it, they realize just how important it is for the quality of their air.

At its naturally occurring levels in nature – 0.01 to 0.05 ppm (parts per million) – ozone is effective and safe. But just like anything else in nature, including the sun and oxygen, bringing it indoors requires respect and control to avoid creating a safety hazard.

The EPA has established limits for ozone in air purifiers for occupied spaces – 0.05 ppm – the same levels as what’s found outdoors.

With carefully designed air purifier controls, I believe ozone can be a safe and effective tool against indoor air contaminants. Scalable Low Level Purification allows for adjustable levels based on the square footage of your space to maintain levels of ozone well within the safety margin.

Here's a snip about the plug in one I linked to earlier

Transform the air in your bedrooms, bathrooms, office, or other small spaces into fresh, clean-smelling air with my ClearAir Room Air Purifier.

Using two of the advanced technologies – Ionization and Activated Oxygen – the ClearAir Room Air Purifier with its adjustable dial removes offending particles and odors from the air rather than covering them up with chemical-laden “air freshening” plug-ins and sprays.

The ClearAir Room Air Purifier is perfect for small rooms, like bedrooms, bathrooms, offices and laundry rooms – about 50 sq ft. Have a larger space? Simply plug in more than one purifier.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 04:33:22 PM »
I think it all boils down to whether one agrees with ozone being an issue, or not... 

I read what the EPA had to say: 
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2014-08/documents/residential_air_cleaning_devices.pdf

Another gov link:
https://www.arb.ca.gov/research/indoor/ozone.htm

BOTH websites recommend info from Consumer Reports.  Some of the recommended air cleaners are ionizers.   Because I rarely can have my doors and windows open, don't use any cleaners (vinegar and water only), air freshners, etc... I was thinking an air purifyer would be a good thing... nice fresh air.  Maybe not so much anymore.  lol   pullingouthair
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 04:48:53 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 05:59:04 PM »
I think it all boils down to whether one agrees with ozone being an issue, or not... 

The only real warning I've got is, if you have allergies and especially asthma, don't try it. Yeah. That super-fresh smell is nice, but the coughing, etc. isn't so much.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2017, 11:25:45 PM »
MC,
Did you buy it?

Tags: