Author Topic: Halo - Vegan Dog Food Line  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Halo - Vegan Dog Food Line
« on: December 22, 2011, 04:16:26 PM »
IS HALO ROLLING OUT A VEGAN PET FOOD LINE?
December 22nd, 2011 by Caroline Golon

The rumors have been swirling lately! Several news outlets have reported that Halo will be introducing a line of vegan pet food. Is it true?

We’re excited to share that, yes, we are developing a vegan diet….but only for dogs. As obligate carnivores, cats have different nutritional needs, so we’re not messing with Mother Nature!

Halo’s Spot’s Stew Vegan Garden Recipe dog food will be made from only all natural, wholesome grains and vegetables, with added vitamins and minerals. No animal protein, dairy products, or artificial flavors or colors.

And, like Halo’s other Spot’s Stew meat-based diets made with real whole food ingredients, the Vegan diet will be easily digestible and nutritionally complete and balanced.

Many vegans are interested in extending their vegan lifestyle to all members of their household, including their dogs. Halo co-owner Ellen DeGeneres is a vegan herself. As she’s said, “I do it because I love animals…..I’m healthier for it, I’m happier for it.”

For those of you seeking an alternative diet for your pooches, look for the Spot’s Stew Vegan Garden Recipe dog food in early 2012!

http://blog.halopets.com/2011/12/22/vegan-pet-food/
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 05:39:28 PM »
Wonder why people that have snakes don't need convincing to not feed kibble (snakes do have teeth) or a non-meat diet?

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 05:47:08 PM »
Because the PFI and everybody in their pockets haven't decided that there are enough snake owners to make it "worth it" to them. (Kinda like Mac vs. PC with hackers & viruses.)

BTW they do it to ferrets too.  They are as strict a carnivore as cats are (obligate). Unfortunately, they are popular "enough" pets and supplement cats & dogs with increased revenue, along with Vet visits.  :(

Good thing bird seed is cheap!!  

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 01:08:28 PM »
Good thing bird seed is cheap!! 

Don't a lot of birds also eat bugs?.... worms, insects, etc?...
wouldn't that be considered a type of "animal based" protein?
I always wondered why it was assumed that a "seed only" diet would be sufficient for birds.

:-\
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 01:11:32 PM by FurMonster Mom »
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 02:50:48 PM »
Don't a lot of birds also eat bugs?.... worms, insects, etc?...
wouldn't that be considered a type of "animal based" protein?
I always wondered why it was assumed that a "seed only" diet would be sufficient for birds.

:-\
Touche' - you're right!

We used to have a bird feeder and I noticed the abundance of corn kernels in the stuff we'd put in it. Doh1  Know nothing about birds (besides the early one getting the worm quote), wonder if they have digestive issues because of it ...

Offline Growlies

• Yapper
    • Growlies.ca
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 11:58:40 PM »
I think that neither dogs nor cats have any morality around their needs or choices in nutrition and for us to force our personal moralities onto them is unfair to say the least. I think if you are personally against animals being killed for food then please do not choose to own any type of carnivore obligate or facultative.

One more thing, dogs are not omnivores they are facultative carnivores and treating them as a lesser form of carnivore just because they will eat anything to survive in times of starvation is unfair. Of course what they want and need is meat, fat, bone & organ.

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 06:54:36 PM »
I think that neither dogs nor cats have any morality around their needs or choices in nutrition and for us to force our personal moralities onto them is unfair to say the least. I think if you are personally against animals being killed for food then please do not choose to own any type of carnivore obligate or facultative. 

I franky think it's animal abuse. They are selling "vegetarian" pet foods now too and all involved should be held liable for animal abuse.

One more thing, dogs are not omnivores they are facultative carnivores and treating them as a lesser form of carnivore just because they will eat anything to survive in times of starvation is unfair. Of course what they want and need is meat, fat, bone & organ.

Count me among ones who didn't know better  :-[   Always knew they were carnivores however believed whatever I saw on TV (something BTW which I don't own today, & requested a landlord to remove one as it would only collect dust). 

Of course it took learning the hard way to wake me up to all the truths... STILL learning something new on a regular basis since Reality stepped in 5 years ago... 

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 06:52:15 PM »
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/01/19/vegetarianism-for-pets.aspx
snip
By Dr. Becker

As I discussed in this video and article, while many celebrities are tremendously talented at certain things, making species-appropriate pet food hasn't yet proved to be one of them.

Celebrity branding is a very popular and successful marketing tool.

But it's important to keep in mind that product such-and-so isn't necessarily of high quality just because a celebrity says it is.

In the case of Halo pet food, not only is Ellen DeGeneres its celebrity endorser, she's also a co-owner.

As DeGeneres' legions of fans are well aware, she seems to genuinely care for animals and is an influential advocate for pet-related causes.

That's why the recent reports that Ellen is developing a vegan line of pet food alarm me.

Not only is DeGeneres hugely popular as a comedian, actress, author and talk show host, she's also admired as an animal advocate.

As such, my concern is that her creation of a vegan dog food could persuade pet owners to remove animal protein from the diets of their carnivorous canine companions.

This move has the potential to compromise the health of countless dogs – precious pets who depend on their humans to provide the right kind of nutrition for their biological needs
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Halo - Vegan Dog Food Line
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 08:56:48 PM »
Ellen one of the Mediots I wasted quite a lot of effort on back in 2008, trying to get info to her about "carnivores".  Submitted forms via her website, rephrased, resumbitted, again...submitted story ideas suggesting DRs Fox, Goldstein, H&P ... and now there's a vegan one out ...

It truly does not surprise me.   Whatever makes them money and as long as the truths stay suppressed, they're allll in good shape, no matter what they personally believe (or don't believe) regarding their own pets who are probably fed filet mignon prepared by their staffs for all we know.

ALL a WASTE. ALL of them.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 09:21:51 PM »
I am still going to hope.
Call me a dreamer...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 09:23:39 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 06:50:09 PM »
Vegan Dog Food: Is It Right to Force a Meat-Free Diet on Your Carnivorous Pet?

By Dr. Becker

Because of the enormous popularity of DeGeneres with pet-owning fans, I feel it’s important – now that the promised vegan formula is actually on store shelves – to reiterate those concerns.

Pet owners considering a vegan diet for their dog should understand they are imposing a set of personal values on an animal that nature designed as a carnivore. In our opinion, a personal belief system should not take precedence over the health of the animals in our care.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/10/10/vegan-dog-food.aspx?e_cid=20121010_PetsNL_art_3
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 06:51:46 PM by Lola »