Author Topic: Top 5 Dog Treats To NEVER Feed Your Dog - Rodney Habib  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Top 5 Dog Treats To NEVER Feed Your Dog - Rodney Habib
« on: April 01, 2016, 08:43:25 AM »
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 09:05:38 AM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Top 5 Dog Treats To NEVER Feed Your Dog - Rodney Habib
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 08:56:30 AM »
Apparently Rodney must have ruffled some feathers within the PFI.  Snopes (USUALLY a pretty good "go to" website for finding misinformation) had this to say:
http://www.snopes.com/milk-bone-facebook-warning/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 09:06:27 AM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Renee Morin's Response
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 08:58:52 AM »
The absolute BEST response by Renee Morin!!!

I SHARED RODNEY HABIB’S PET TREAT VIDEO, AND I’D PROUDLY SHARE IT ALL OVER AGAIN!
I shared the video previously both here and on The Little Dog House page and I am aware that the video has since been a subject on the reference site for misinformation called Snopes.com. (And if I hadn’t been aware, the messages I’ve gotten for sharing it would have clued me in!)
I read it when it first came out and was not very impressed. I just don’t think that Snopes did a very proper or thorough investigation of the video. Here's why:
They focus only on one of the ingredients (BHA) and mention only one of the brands (Milkbones), but seem to be debunking the entire video which also discussed other brands (Snausages, Temptations, Pupperoni, Beggin’ Strips) and other questionable ingredients (Propylene Glycol, Meat Meal, Yellow #5 and Red #40). Seems like a pretty half-@ssed investigative job at best.
Their write-up on it also appears to be based on the assumption that the video is saying that these treats cause cancer in 50% of pets. To me that’s a ridiculous leap in interpretation. The video simply lists some questionable ingredients in pet treats and points out some bad things for which the ingredients are known. The mention at the end of the cancer rate in pets simply made me think about the ingredients and the choices I make.
The Snopes article displays its own bias by criticizing the citing of mercola.com as a source, however, if you look at Dr Karen Becker’s article for Mercola on the topic, the citation reference is provided and links to the Report of Carcinogens on the website for the National Toxicology Program of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services which further links to the National Institute of Health - reliable sourcing, I’d say (and the very same article Snopes deemed reliable enough to quote themselves).
(The Report of Carcinogens says that BHA is "reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen based on sufficient evidence of carcinogenicity from studies in experimental animals". Yes, it says “human carcinogen”, but if a study on animals can be extrapolated to humans, then I feel okay applying it to dogs as well, and “reasonably anticipated” is something I’m not taking chances on.)
Snopes points out the FDA considers BHA as “generally recognized as safe”, but left off the percentage of content considered safe, it is "generally recognized as safe for use in food when the total of antioxidants is not greater than .02% of fat or oil content.” (BHA is an antioxidant). Makes me wonder how much is in these treats, if anybody regulates that amount for pet food, and what feeding the same treats day in and day out, even multiple times a day could add up to.
Snopes also turns to a vet for commentary who happens to be well-known for her own bias, even to the point of mockery of those who do not follow her way of thinking. Not professional counter sourcing, if you ask me.
Given the poor quality of the Snopes article, I would never discount the claims in the video without doing my own reading. After doing my own reading, I can not ignore the dangers the video highlights. These are treats. Your dog does not need them. Your dog won’t even miss them once they are gone. Why are you taking chances? You want better treats available to purchase for your pets? Then speak with your dollars and stop settling for ones with questionable ingredients. It is as simple as that. If you want to give your dog a treat you can trust, make it yourself: bake some biscuits, dehydrate some quality meat, give veggies and little bits of fruit.
And, as I keep saying: with cancer rates already at 50% in our pets and rising, and diet being so important to cancer prevention and management, then the way we (as a society) have been feeding them simply can not be right.
https://www.facebook.com/renee.morin.50

DrLisaPiersonWorthy
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 09:30:02 AM by Lola »

Offline BeckPo

• Yapper
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 02:18:09 PM »
Well here's the thing. The world health organization and others NOT influenced by large pet food companies have said that BHA is a carcinogen.

What more is there to discuss..... It doesn't matter that they use "trace amounts." Why use any at all, there are much safer alternatives. The response from Dr. Jessica Vogelsang is another problem. No one believes eating a single milk-bone in 2005 caused cancer in 2016. It's the accumulation of these ingredients and treats which increase the chance of cancer.

The FDA is a reactive group, they always come out and say, "Opps sorry, that one ingredient we said was great, well sorry it's actually terrible and may have caused cancer in thousands of dogs." Doesn't mean we ignore the FDA, but we shouldn't take everything they say to be 100% accurate. There are other groups which look into this stuff... we cannot ignore them.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 04:38:29 PM »
I like the way you think, Becky!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 04:37:05 PM »
Apparently Rodney must have ruffled some feathers within the PFI.  Snopes (USUALLY a pretty good "go to" website for finding misinformation) had this to say:
http://www.snopes.com/milk-bone-facebook-warning/

Ummm. . .Snopes' political leaning side is more than just a little liberal, so they're going to go with whatever they're told to think by any big company(ies)--PFI for instance. Snopes can be trusted for many things, just not those that involve politics or money.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline BeckPo

• Yapper
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2016, 10:00:59 PM »
Ummm. . .Snopes' political leaning side is more than just a little liberal, so they're going to go with whatever they're told to think by any big company(ies)--PFI for instance. Snopes can be trusted for many things, just not those that involve politics or money.

Just not politics or money? That's basically everything  funny2