Author Topic: New rules for dog sledders  (Read 918 times)

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
New rules for dog sledders
« on: February 26, 2012, 03:54:18 AM »
Not exactly what some folks had hoped for, but it's a small step.

Read the whole article.

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
Re: New rules for dog sledders
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 07:39:41 AM »
A snip of the article...
By Kari Huus, msnbc.com
The government of British Columbia, Canada has published new regulations governing the handling of sled dogs — a move prompted by a grisly 2010 case in which a tourism company near Whistler killed as many as 100 animals that become "surplus," amid slumping business.
The Sled Dog Code of Practice is a step — a small one, according to critics — toward addressing problems in competitive and entertainment dog sledding that is mostly unseen.
"The problem with this whole issue is these (breeding and training) operations are out of the public eye," said Debra Probert, executive director of the Vancouver Humane Society. "People see the dogs in public, but they don’t see what goes on behind the scenes."
The sled dog slaughter came to light only when one of the employees of Howling Dog Tours Whistler Ltd. who were charged with killing the dogs by shooting them and slitting their throats applied for compensation from the Workers’ Compensation Board of British Columbia because he said he was suffering trauma from the task. The WorkSafeBC document explaining the decision to approve the compensation was leaked, making incident public in gruesome detail.
http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/25/10500874-canadian-province-responds-to-sled-dog-killings-with-new-rules
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
Re: New rules for dog sledders
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 09:56:13 PM »
Yeah... this is the part that folks are disappointed with....

The standards disappointed some animal advocates, including the Vancouver Humane Society, which had advocated banning sled dog racing.

And some were outraged that the regulations spell out how sled dog owners should euthanize dogs if they cannot race anymore and can't be placed in a new home. A diagram illustrates the proper way to position a gun at a dog’s head to ensure a clean kill.
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Tags:

'Hare