Author Topic: Happy Gotcha Day Mazy cat!  (Read 15801 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Happy 10th Gotcha Day, Mazy cat!
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 04:46:54 AM »
Happy 10th Gotcha Day Mazy cat!  Hard to believe she's been with me 10 years already.

Her Gotcha Day story is here:
http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=1762.msg11022#msg11022

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Happy 10th Gotcha Day, Mazy cat!
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 11:34:20 AM »
woohoogif tiggerbounce dancingbanana dancingbanana tiggerbounce dancingbanana tiggerbounce dancingbanana woohoogif
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 01:06:38 PM »
Happyyyyyyyyyyyy GOTCHA Day!!!!   HeadButt
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2015, 02:47:59 PM »
Happy GOTCHA Day, Mazy cat!  You picked a pawsome mommy!

multistars multistars multistars
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Happy Gotcha Day Mazy cat!
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 04:59:12 AM »
Today is Mazy's Gotcha Day! Eleven years!

I wanted a kitten for Tolly.  Tolly (:angel: 11/11)  was raised by Bibbs (:rainbow: 3/05) and Ootay (:angel: 5/09), but they were already over 8 years old when he came, so by the time Tolly was going on 6, they were old ladies and didn't want to run and tumble with him as much, and he said I was "too big".

So the kitten search began.  I actually filled out my application at the shelter in the fall, was approved and started visiting the shelter about once a month.  There were many lovely cats and I usually left in tears, wanting to take them all home, but I really needed a younger playmate for Tolly.

One day at the end of January when I walked in the shelter manager met me at the door so happy, because she said a couple of litters of kittens had been brought in.  She brought me into the room, and sure enough, there were all these little kittens, of all colors (including a couple of red ones!) running around. Babies. Like I wanted.

As I stood there watching them I heard a "prrt?".  I turned to see a half grown brown tabby cat sitting in a cage staring at me.  Our eyes met and I said "Oh!  You're Mazy!" and she said "PRRT!"

The shelter manager came in just then and saw me communing with "Trinity" (her shelter name).  I said I want HER!  She opened the cage and put her hands in to show me how "Trinity" would wave claws and teeth, and said sadly, even though she's so pretty no one wants her because she's not socialized.  I said don't worry I can socialize her.

So for the next three weekends I went back to the shelter to play with Mazy cat.  I brought the towel that had been rubbed on Bibbs, Ootay and Tolly.  Mazy did not allow me to touch her, so I could only make quick swipes with the towel to get her smell on it (to exchange smells between all the cats). I could tell Mazy was very smart, every time the shelter manager walked by the closed door Mazy would stop and look at the door, or if she heard the manager's voice she would stop and listen.  The manager really loved Mazy and had bonded with her a little, obviously.

Finally the big day came.  I built a hide-away cubby-hole downstairs where the litter boxes are, so if Mazy was scared she would have a place to hide out, by the litter boxes. Mazy heard my voice when I walked into the shelter, I know, because when I walked into the room she was in, she was sitting in her cage and her eyes were already fastened on mine,  she KNEW I was there to take her home that day.

I talked to her all the way home, telling her all about the other cats and how I hoped she would be a playmate for Tolly.  She only said one thing, and that was when we were standing at my door, she said "mew".  (She almost never meows, prrt is her word, but when she sings it is still a "mew" not a meow).

Once inside I set down the carrier and put out the new litter box I'd gotten for her, and put fresh litter in it, then added it to the corner where the other boxes are.  Then I opened the carrier door right in front of the litter boxes.  Mazy stepped into and out of each litter box,(and The Litter Box Police was born) then headed for the stairs.

She walked the entire perimeter of the apartment while I and the other cats watched.  Eventually she came out of the bedroom, FLOPPED down in the middle of the living room floor and sighed deeply.  I knew that sigh said "I'm home".

She was playing with Tolly by the very next day. (though it took her at least 18 months to learn to live with me) From the very beginning Mazy has taken all her Jobs seriously.

Now she just gets sweeter all the time, and I love her so much!

Happy Gotcha Day my dear Mazy cat Lovey Cat.

First day here

She loves me

So relaxed!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Happy Gotcha Day Mazy cat!
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 09:08:01 AM »
Happy Gotcha Day to you and Mazy!!  I know I've said it before.... she is just SO beautiful.  AND so full of personality!  The first photo made me laugh out loud. 
Curious about the reason for the 3 week time span.  And did you not worry that someone else would adopt her?  I know non-socialized cats aren't likely to get adopted quickly, but...  people like me (referring to Jenkins) do come along sometimes. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016, 10:07:32 AM »
That's a lovely story, thank you for sharing it.  I wonder what "mew" meant when she was by the door.  Maybe she was announcing her self to the other cats?

Happy Gotcha Day, Mazy Cat!!!!

love1 love1 coolgif2 tiggerbounce dancingbanana BanWooHoo bananamiddlechild multistars happydance1

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 03:58:32 PM »
Thanks you guys!

Curious about the reason for the 3 week time span.

I worked in education then.  It was winter break when I brought her home, so I could be home all week.

And did you not worry that someone else would adopt her?

No, she was already mine. Approved and paid. HeadButt

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2016, 04:10:45 PM »
Thanks you guys!

I worked in education then.  It was winter break when I brought her home, so I could be home all week.

No, she was already mine. Approved and paid. HeadButt

That makes sense!  :)
BTW... I like the name Mazy MUCH better. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2016, 05:47:51 PM »
Yes.  She told me the instant our eyes met that her name is Mazy.  The cat portion of her name came later...when she let me know her song.  Her nickname is Lovey or Lovey cat.

After Mazy cat came here, the words "kitty kitty" stopped being words used in this house.  I was used to saying "kitty kitty" to my cats up until then but she HATED those words.  It took me a few times to get it.  I'd be on the floor playing with her and she would suddenly attack me.  I think it was the third time that I finally realized what was happening, when I said "Kitty kitty" she attacked.  So I never said it again.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2017, 08:48:53 AM »
HAPPY GOTCHA DAY MAZY CAT.  SO HAPPY YOU ARE MINE AND I AM YOURS!!!!!!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Happy (Belated) Gotcha Day, Mazy Cat!
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 05:33:07 PM »
 CatLick kittyball cat3 shadow1

I hope it was a great gotchasnow Day!   Hug1 Hug1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Happy (Belated) Gotcha Day, Mazy Cat!
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2017, 02:39:26 PM »
Glad you both have each other!! 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2018, 08:37:59 AM »
Tomorrow is Mazy cat's 13th Gotcha Day.  There are a number of threads, and every time I try to search them out, different threads show up.  Never the same ones. Is there any way to merge them all together and close out the extras?

Link removed.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2018, 04:28:44 PM »
Happy Gotcha Day, Mazy!

Tags: