Author Topic: Pit Bulls - “The Nanny Dog”  (Read 906 times)

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
Pit Bulls - “The Nanny Dog”
« on: July 11, 2011, 12:46:06 PM »
I enjoyed this...

Astoundingly, for most of our history America’s nickname for Pit Bulls was “The Nanny Dog”. For generations if you had children and wanted to keep them safe you wanted a pit bull, the dog that was the most reliable of any breed with children or adults.

The Nanny Dog is now vilified by a media that always wants a demon dog breed to frighten people and LHASA-APSO BITES MAN just doesn’t sell papers. Before pit bulls it was Rottweilers, before Rottweilers it was Dobermans, and before them German Shepherds. Each breed in it’s order were deemed too vicious and unpredictable to be around people. Each time people wanted laws to ban them. It is breathtakingly ironic that the spotlight has turned on the breed once the symbol of our country and our national babysitter.

In temperance tests (the equivalent of how many times your kid can poke your dog in the eye before it bites him) of all breeds the most tolerant was the Golden Retriever. The second most tolerant was the pit bull.

Pit Bull’s jaws do not lock, they do not have the most powerful bite among dogs (Rottweilers have that honor) they are not naturally human aggressive (in fact pit bull puppies prefer human company to their mother’s two weeks before all other dogs), and they feel as much pain as any other breed (accidentally step on one’s toe and you’ll see).

The most tolerant, patient, gentle breed of dogs is now embarrassingly portrayed as the most dangerous. It would be funny if the new reputation did not mean 6,000 are put to death every day, by far the highest number of any other breed euthanized.
That’s a lot of babysitters.

http://www.ywgrossman.com/photoblog/?p=676
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: Pit Bulls - “The Nanny Dog”
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 01:33:20 PM »
How true.  
I remember when it was Doberman Pinschers,  Hollywood helped then too. Remember Apollo and Zeuss chasing Magnum around ...Godfather 1... Victor's compound in Bevery Hill's Cop... all the movies portrayed Dobies as "most vicious-feared."

My sister adopted an unwanted Pitte-Mastiff mix to go with her other dog and cats and she could bring in stray cats, kittens... and that dog was the least of her worries. The cats adjusting to the other critters (either species) was another thing LOL.

I was always afraid of Chihuahuas.  In the '70s, Chihuahuas must haven been the "in" breed because so many people we knew had them. Of the closest people to me, one was an aunt, and two other families of childhood friends.  With ALL of the CHIs, we knew to keep the distance and "DO NOT touch! " And a couple of terriers put fear in us too (including one of our own!) while the big "scary" dogs would have to be told to stop with the "clinging" affection.

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
Re: Pit Bulls - “The Nanny Dog”
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 01:33:49 PM »
Our dog is an APBT  thumbsup1

I believe that the breed is doomed.  They are not for everybody; yet everybody has one.  People mistakenly think they can hug animal aggression out of them.  They think if they raise them together with other dogs or other animals that every thing will be fine; until they come home and realize their dog has killed another animal in the house and what do they do?  They put the *killer* to sleep.

Human aggression in the APBT is considered a serious flaw.  Dogmen back in the day would cull any animal with human aggression.  Not only are there human aggressive dogs around today, but people are breeding them  Doh1

It is completely natural for an APBT to be animal aggressive~ and people should expect it.  These dogs are very slow to mature, and may not show any aggression until the age of 2-3 years.  

The golden rule for the APBT is "never trust your dog not to fight"~ it's that simple.

My dog is an ambassador for her breed, having said that: there are still people in my family that are terrified of her... bangsheadgif

'Hare