Author Topic: Is this not dangerous???  (Read 1052 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Is this not dangerous???
« on: July 12, 2013, 02:26:17 PM »
How the heck does someone know how much of the active ingredient they're putting on their pet??? Sounds dangerous to me and I'd NEVER use this stuff on the boys! Something about this screams stupidity to me since all of the other options for chemical flea and tick control are carefully measured in packaging.

http://jefferspets.com/frontline-spray/camid/PET/cp/0028814/c2p/hp/

Frontline® Spray

Merial

Contains Fipronil for a fast and effective way of eliminating large flea and tick infestations already on your pet.
Kills 98-100% of adult fleas within 24 hrs, ticks within 48 hrs and controls lice infestations within 48 hours.
Aids in the control of sarcoptic mange in dogs.
Can be used on kittens and puppies from 8 weeks of age.
Provides up to 6 weeks protection for cats and up to 4 weeks protection for dogs.
Frontline® Spray provides long-lasting, effective control of fleas and ticks on your cat and dog. Remains waterproof for 30 days, even if your dog or cat swims or is bathed.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline AnnStaub

• Chatter Bug
    • Pawsitively Pets
Re: Is this not dangerous???
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 11:46:36 PM »
This stuff does have a dosage on it. It's something like 1 spray per 2 lbs of body weight, but don't quote me on that. I don't really remember selling this stuff at the clinic I worked at, but we used it in house sometimes. Mostly only if a dog came in infested with ticks. I would pick the topical treatment that comes in a tube personally. I'm not sure that this stuff would actually last 30 days really.

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 09:18:55 AM »
Even tho the description says it can be used on cats, I would not use it on a cat, and especially, not on a 8 week old kitten. You cannot use a spray on kitties, cause, they lick theirselfs, and can injest the stuff.

Stuff that is safe for doggies and horsies, is not, safe, for kitties. Doggies and horsies does not lick theirselfs, like kitties do. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 11:08:33 AM »
This stuff does have a dosage on it. It's something like 1 spray per 2 lbs of body weight, but don't quote me on that.

Really though, how many people in today's fast-lane lives are going to read the whole bottle, then do the math? Half of them are going to just apply it the way the old sprays and powders were.

I don't really remember selling this stuff at the clinic I worked at, but we used it in house sometimes. Mostly only if a dog came in infested with ticks.

Amazingly we've never had a tick infestation. I've had two ticks fall off in my kitchen when they were getting water--immediately after coming in, but never an attachment. A couple of them were on me this year, so a barrier of diatomaceous earth was made around the yard & house. But I've never had another on me since then.

Hubs gets them a lot though when he has to go bushhog hill behind the house. But we keep the dogs out of the brush. There are all kinds of "stick-tight-plant-seeds" out there, and you don't want to have to get those out of a BRT's coat.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline AnnStaub

• Chatter Bug
    • Pawsitively Pets
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 08:18:21 PM »
I agree DeeDee. I definitely see potential for disaster with this stuff.

Tags:

'Hare