Author Topic: Does this bother anyone else?  (Read 1675 times)

Offline AnnStaub

• Chatter Bug
    • Pawsitively Pets
Does this bother anyone else?
« on: October 09, 2013, 10:17:11 PM »
One of my high school friends on Facebook sent me a message today asking if I knew an affordable vet in my town to put her dog down at. She knows I'm a vet tech. She said the dog has a tumor and it's now lethargic and not eating. I replied by giving her the name of a clinic with low prices and asking what type of tumor it was. Her reply was that she didn't know, but the dog was 9 so she had lived a happy life...

My reply was that most tumors on dogs are benign fatty lumps or other benign growths. This conversation bothers me... I mean the dog could just have a stomach thing going on that could be easily fixed possibly. It seems like she's not willing to do an easy fix. Of course, it could be anything. 9 just doesn't seem like that long of a life these days for dogs...

The situations just has so many variables and I just kind of feel sorry for the dog. It could be something she can't afford to treat, but on the other hand shouldn't she at least give the dog a little bit of a chance?

I swear my old acquaintances on Facebook are always testing me when it comes to their posts about animals... I always see something there that just makes me shake my head.

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
Re: Does this bother anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 09:26:36 AM »
What bothers me, is that you really didn't listen, to what she said, no disrespect intended, and unless there is more to the story, than what was put in the post.

She reached out to you, a vet tech, for help, and you blew her off.

And not one other person on here, will get it either, so will just sit back and read the posts supporting you and or bashing me, then I will explain it to ya all. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 12:21:45 PM »
I replied by giving her the name of a clinic with low prices and asking what type of tumor it was. Her reply was that she didn't know, but the dog was 9 so she had lived a happy life...

It would bother me too. Maybe the vet will be responsible enough to ask some questions, and give other options before just putting the dog down though. Maybe the vet will be responsible enough to tell them about the fatty tumors that dogs get when they get older. Maybe the vet will give them some inexpensive options they can afford.

No, 9 isn't a "long" life. It's a life that's reached senior-years as I was told when Sharkly started the seizures from the brain tumor, but heck, I'm reaching what the AARP considers senior years. I'll be 52 in December. I'm not ready for someone to just assume my health problems warrant letting me die.

You just never know who's got the opinion that it's "just an" animal until you have a conversation with them, do you?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline AnnStaub

• Chatter Bug
    • Pawsitively Pets
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 01:18:56 PM »
Well, I think she blew me off kind of because she never replied to the last message I sent. I answered her question and offered more help, in a non-direct way because it's a sensitive subject but I don't think she's interested.

She didn't describe the situation anymore than that, so I don't know anything else. She knows her dog best though.

I don't think she has much to spend on her pets, which is OK. I don't either. I just get worried because she just had her 4th daughter and I know sometimes people just get tired of their animals and try to take an easy way out.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 02:51:55 PM »
You gave the person the name of a low cost clinic, and explained that it is common for dogs to have non-fatal fatty lumps.  At this point, you can only guess as to why the dog is not eating.  The not eating and the lump may have nothing to do with each other. 

If it were me, and I was assuming my dog had a death sentence... the info, you provided, would have given me hope. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline AnnStaub

• Chatter Bug
    • Pawsitively Pets
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 09:43:29 PM »
Well, I hope it has given her hope anyways.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 01:57:50 AM »
Did you ever hear back from her? 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline AnnStaub

• Chatter Bug
    • Pawsitively Pets
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 12:45:45 AM »
Nah but I thought she would probably ignore my last comment.

Tags:

'Hare