Author Topic: Help! New mom with mastitis!  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
Help! New mom with mastitis!
« on: October 28, 2013, 10:32:35 PM »
I think I mentioned in another thread that my friend picked up an abandoned female dog, heavily pregnant. She's had the pups, but isn't producing milk. I had her call my vet because he will still do house calls. She has mastitis, and the stress of being dumped into a completely new environment plus her malnutrition isn't helping. She is having to bottle-raise these babies. The pups aren't in great condition either... she started with 14... yes I said 14, and this is what I would consider a medium sized dog. They are less than a week old. Last time I heard from her, there were 8 left. She was leaving them with the mom dog and just feeding them herself, but she doesn't want to do that anymore... mom dog seems to be eating them.

She has a full-time job, and is looking for people with time to take care of the pups. I am not currently employed and need something to do with myself... you see where I am going here. I have a oil space heater set up, a large cardboard box that insulated with styrofoam, like I have seen people use for stray cats. She is currently giving them some kind of milk replacer she got from the vet.

What am I missing? What else do I need if I take this on? What kind of puppy formula? Should I get more from the vet, use Esbilac goats-milk formula? Real, raw goats milk with raw egg-yolks, yogurt, and baby vitamins (I saw a breeders recipe)?

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Help! New mom with mastitis!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 04:56:59 AM »
Oh, good for you Amber!  I can't offer any advice though.  What does Amber think of the pups?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 08:47:29 AM »
I'd use the breeder's recipe. They usually know best as long as they're conscientious breeders. I also looked it up and here are several formulas for taking care of rejected puppies:

http://www.firehousechihuahuas.com/Caring-for-Orphans-or-Rejected-Pups.html

And I'd pick any one of them, except the using the canned milk (change that for raw goat's milk), over Esbilac formula just because fresher ingredients are always best.

I don't like a lot of ingredients in Esbilac, just because they've taken regular milk and torn it apart, especially these two: "soybean oil, sodium caseinate" Caseinate is extracted milk proteins, and that's why I can't have coffee creamer. Why the heck use skimmed milk and then add processed proteins back to it? That sounds like cheating to me. (See label info below.)

The soybean oil, well I don't see a non-GMO label on that can. You DO need to add some more fats though. Goat's milk often has less fat than cow's milk--especially in winter (Read "more on goat's milk" page below.), so you need to add some olive oil, or another oil that you like, into it. I'd say coconut oil, but when it's chilled, it becomes solid, and you'd have to make sure when you heat the formula for them that it melts completely or it will stop up the bottle nipple. Plus, coconut oil is a medium chain, and goat's milk already has a lot of that.

If you add a couple of tablespoons of sugar, agave juice or something in it, it will make them more apt to drink it too. Puppies LOVE honey and goat's milk! It's a good way to get them to sleep at night.

More on Goat's milk:   http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:yvEMFeHna14J:www.laloos.com/Goat%2520Milk%2520Health%2520Benefits.doc+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

ESBILAC® LIQUID
PetAg
Puppy Milk Replacer
Food supplement for dogs
For puppies newborn to 6 weeks of age
#1 Selling Brand
All natural with vitamins, minerals and trace nutrients
SHAKE GENTLY
REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING
Directions for Feeding Esbilac®:
All puppies should receive their mother’s milk for at least 2 days, if possible. The colostrum milk gives extra nutrition and temporary immunity against some diseases. Warm Esbilac to room or body temperature. Feed puppies 2 tablespoons (30mL) per 4 ounces (115g) of body weight daily. Divide the daily feeding amount into equal portions for each feeding. Small and/or weak puppies should be fed every 3 to 4 hours. Larger and/or older puppies can do well being fed every 8 hours. The amount required should be increased or decreased to meet the individual requirements for each puppy. The PetAg 4 oz Nurser is suited for feeding most puppies. When puppies are old enough to lap, begin offering Esbilac® in a shallow container. During the 6th week mix Esbilac with Esbilac® 2nd Step™ Weaning Food to allow the puppy to gradually switch to solid food. Pregnant and Lactating Bitches: Feed 2 tablespoons (30mL) Esbilac per 5 lbs (2.2kg) body weight daily. Growing Puppies (post weaning), Show Dogs and/or Convalescing Dogs: Feed 1 tablespoon (15mL) Esbilac per 5 lbs (2.2kg) body weight daily.
Discard after 72 hours. Do not freeze in original container. Not for human consumption.
Ingredients
Water, condensed skimmed milk, soybean oil, sodium caseinate, cream, calcium caseinate, egg yolks, DL-methionine, L-arginine, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, lecithin, magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, monopotassium phosphate, salt, tricalcium phosphate, carrageenan, dipotassium phosphate, dicalcium phosphate, ascorbic acid, ferrous sulfate, potassium hydroxide, zinc sulfate, vitamin A supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, calcium pantothenate, copper sulfate, maltodextrins, thiamine hydrochloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, manganese sulfate, vitamin D3 supplement, potassium citrate, potassium iodide, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, biotin.
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein, min.
4.5%
Crude Fat, min.
6.0%
Crude Fiber, max.
0.0%
Moisture, max.
85.0%
Calorie Content (Calculated)
The calorie content (ME) is 820 kcal/kg or 12.3 kcal/tbs.
Powdered Esbilac is also available.
©2010 PetAg, Inc., 255 Keyes Avenue, Hampshire, IL 60140 U.S.A.
1-800-323-0877
Visit our website www.petag.com
Made in the U.S.A.
International copyright reserved
Use before date stamped on can

NET WT.

24 x 8 FL. OZ. cans/case (Scoop included)

12 x 11 FL. OZ. (325 mL)
12 x 11 OZ. (312g) cans/case
1148 0210
NAC No.: 1097012.10
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:03:42 AM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 08:51:06 AM »
As far as expressing them per http://www.firehousechihuahuas.com/Caring-for-Orphans-or-Rejected-Pups.html (if they're not pooping a lot), I'd just wipe their rumps with a warm cloth to simulate their mother's tongue.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 04:12:57 PM »
Poor momma, and poor pups.

I agree that the pups would be better on a fresher diet rather than the commercial stuff.

What are you doing to relieve the momma dog? 

My girlfriend had it a couple times with her kids.  It's very painful.  I looked up a few sites on mastitis in humans.  Most of them say that the best thing, besides warm compress & massage, is to keep the milk flowing even if it means using a pump. 

Is the momma dog full of milk, or has she quit producing?  If she's still full, is she nursing at all?  Will she let you use a warm cloth and massage? 

Another thing to consider is if the mastitis is due to an infection.  Some sites say that some antibiotics are okay (and some are not), same with pain meds.  The milder meds seem to be acceptable.  Though I don't know how that would apply to dogs.   :-\
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 04:49:03 PM »
I don't really know what she is doing for the mom, other than feed her puppy food. She is following a vets instructions but she lives close to town and I am like 30 miles away. I can call her and find out for you. It looks like I may not end up with the babies after all... her niece wants to do it. On one hand, I'm disappointed. On the other... well with the babies being so young, I don't think I could take it if things go badly, so this may be for the best.

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 05:42:49 AM »
So I talked to her this morning, and the pups have been completely removed from the mother and are with her niece. The vet thought it best both for the mother and the pups, since she was cannibalizing them and now that she isn't nursing at all he can put her on stronger meds to get over the infection.  Mom dog may be producing some milk, but its... well she says it looks more like pus. She is taking the dog to the vet when the office opens, and he'll likely want to keep her.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 11:28:46 PM »
How very kind of you, Amber, for being willing to care for them.  You have a heart of gold!
Have you heard how the niece is doing with them?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 02:31:16 AM »
Yeah, sounds like the best plan was to separate mom from pups.  Sad.  Hopefully the infection will be responsive to the meds, and hopefully the pups will pull through.  This is definitely a situation that takes time and patience.
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Tags:

'Hare