Author Topic: ABANDONED DOG TO BE REUNITED WITH OWNERS  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
ABANDONED DOG TO BE REUNITED WITH OWNERS
« on: March 15, 2014, 05:56:20 PM »
Snip...

An elderly couple will reunite with their 13-year-old Dachshund, named Otto Wolfgang Maximus, after thinking he was too sick for them to care for. Otto's owners could not afford a trip to the vet, nor could they stand to see their beloved dog in pain. The couple brought Otto to the Baldwin Park Animal Shelter in Baldwin Park, Calif., on March 6. They attached a note asking that Otto be "put to sleep."

http://www.pawnation.com/2014/03/13/abandoned-dog-to-be-reunited-with-owners/
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
Re: ABANDONED DOG TO BE REUNITED WITH OWNERS
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 05:58:44 PM »
PS

Kudos to www.leavenopawsbehind.org for giving this story a happy ending.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 07:02:56 PM »
I'm glad it's a happy ending for the dog.  The people who abandoned him make me sick.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 07:57:32 PM »
I got the impression... the elderly people did, what they sincerely thought, was best for the dog.  The dog is almost 14 years old.  Knows no one, but them. Was ill. The vet suggested costly tests...

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 08:05:44 PM »
I'm just happy they got to keep their dog and didn't have to live with putting it out of its misery. I wish more pets would just die in their sleep peacefully, of really old age, like some humans do. I really think it would be a lot easier on me if it always happened that way.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 08:12:59 PM »
Whether they were sincere or not, they dumped an elderly dog.  Just left him. I don't understand anyone who could do such a thing.  You take responsibility for your pets.  You take him to the shelter and surrender him, you don't tie him outside and leave him.  I know I am hardhearted when it comes to people and how they treat their pets. I should not be so judgmental I suppose.  But..I just can't comprehend how anyone could do such a thing. Do they have dementia? That I could understand.

I've got to stop thinking about this.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 08:33:52 PM »
I'm still thinking about it.  Since I do believe things happen for a reason, I guess I have to believe it had to happen this way for the little dog to get to stay with his people and be taken care of.

But these kind of stories always fill me with dread.  How many people see these kinds of stories and use them as justification for dumping their own pets.  "someone will resuce him, it happens all the tim,e I see it on the internet every day".

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 08:55:03 PM »
But they had no intention of the dog being rescued. They believed it to be really ill and couldn't afford veterinary care. They couldn't even afford to have the vet put the dog to sleep. They took it to the shelter asking that it be put down.

They're getting to keep the dog b/c someone else has volunteered to pay for the veterinary care needed for the life of the dog. Sick seniors often fall into this dilemma. Take care of ourselves, or take care of our pet? If they don't take care of themselves, the pet won't be taken care of for long that way either.

It's not just a senior dog, it's senior people.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 09:08:27 PM »
They did not take him to the shelter.  They abandoned him at the shelter. If they are suffering from a stage of dementia or senility, I can understand how they might think this was okay.  I know reason comes and goes, when dementia or Alzheimer disease sets in..  If they are completely cognizant, it was just plain wrong.

But my point remains, that when stories like this one makes the rounds, it makes it easier for people to justify to themselves following suit.

I'm glad Harley will not have to live with strangers. I think a quiet death would have been better than a 14 year old sick dog having to adjust to a new life. And, as I had pointed out to me elsewhere, if this story helps bring awareness to the plight of elderly and their pets, that will be a good thing.

Not just awareness that programs are needed, because I know there are ways and means already.  But it's the people who need them that need to be made aware that these programs are available.

I have already made my decision about becoming elderly with pets.  I will not do it.  These girls are my last. Even so I am pushing it as Queen Eva is only 3 1/2 and I am past 53. If I find I cannot live without cats when I am elderly I will foster elderly cats. Cats that will have someplace to return to, should something happen to me.

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 12:23:18 PM »
They did not take him to the shelter.  They abandoned him at the shelter.

Maybe they "abandoned" him because they were embarrassed of their financial situation, and couldn't face the possible judgmental reception they figured they'd get.
Or maybe it just broke their hearts too much, that the only way to cope with the idea of giving him up was to leave him quietly.
Who knows.
People do weird things when they are stressed.
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 01:42:52 PM »

I'm glad Harley will not have to live with strangers. I think a quiet death would have been better than a 14 year old sick dog having to adjust to a new life. And, as I had pointed out to me elsewhere, if this story helps bring awareness to the plight of elderly and their pets, that will be a good thing.

Who's Harley?

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 01:42:59 PM »
I guess I kinda sorta assumed they did what they thought was best for the dog...under the circumstances and out of desperation. 

The good news is... we don't have to agree with each other, on this forum.  :)

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 01:44:19 PM »
Who's Harley?

I think the shelter gave him that name, before they knew his name. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 02:00:06 PM »
I think the shelter gave him that name, before they knew his name. 

Oh. Thank you. I'd just seen the name "Otto."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 04:49:52 PM »
Oh right, Otto.  Don't know where I came up with Harley.

Or maybe it just broke their hearts too much, that the only way to cope with the idea of giving him up was to leave him quietly.

Can't get my head around that. That's not "coping". I fail to see how abandoning a dog by leaving him tied outside alone, not knowing, ever, what has happened to him, will lessen the heartbreak, making it easier to cope. I don't see that at all.

But people do strange things other people can't fathom.  Like I said, maybe it had to happen this way, to bring awareness to the fact that there IS help, if people know how to find it. Bring awareness to the fact that even though there is help, people don't know about it, and there needs to be a way to make sure the ones who need the help know it's out there.

So there's the silver lining.

But I still carry the dread, knowing that people, not so loving of their pets, just wanting to be rid of them for no reason, see stories like these and figure it's okay to dump that pet, because someone will rescue him.

Sadly, not all of them are rescued.

Tags:

'Hare