Author Topic: After a lot of time at vet's offices this week. . .  (Read 8174 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: After a lot of time at vet's offices this week. . .
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 07:23:56 PM »
For anyone else that needs it, I found a database that's searchable for food values like potassium:

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 08:12:21 PM »
PS Egg whites are used for CKD cats who need reduced phosphorous.  I'm not sure if the egg white binds the phosphorus, I was more under the impression it adds healthy protein with out phosphorous so reducing the phosphorus overall. RAW egg whites inactivate biotin, but not cooked.

Doh1  THAT was it!  Thanks, MC!  Sorry about the misinformation, Dee.   :-[

Great news that Vlad can stay home!   thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 09:31:47 PM »
VLAD ATE!!! HE ATE SOME DUCK!

Wasn't my first choice for meat, but it's not red meat like beef or venison! I tried chicken and turkey, but those were no's.

His breeder is coming tomorrow to see him and trade some meat out. She's got some more duck, and I have only one pack left. So we're going to trade some of my venison for her duck since he's GOT to eat.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 05:05:18 AM »
YAY!!!!!!!!!! Keep it up Vlad!

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 09:17:37 AM »
multistars multistars multistars

That's PAWSOME news!  You must be so relieved that he ate!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 11:48:27 AM »
I'm a LOT relieved. He's eating small amounts every couple of hours. Urinating normally, and at 5:30am had his first bowel movement since last Thursday which is another big relief. Started his prednisone at breakfast.

Didn't say last night because was so excited about him eating, but before he ate, we took him out at 8:30, and he helped Barkly chase a bunny out of their fenced area for about 40 feet. Barked once at it, but sounded hoarse.

Then when we were going to bring them in and try again to get him to eat, he decided he's going for a walk and I was going to follow. Took off the patio and walked the perimeter of about 2 acres. Seemed a little weak for about the last 100 feet. That's when he came in and ate some.

Just offering food every couple of hours and letting him rest.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 12:04:52 PM »
Sorry Dee Dee to hear this, but glad that Vlad is eating again  thumbsup1
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 01:22:53 PM »
I'm a LOT relieved. He's eating small amounts every couple of hours. Urinating normally, and at 5:30am had his first bowel movement since last Thursday which is another big relief. Started his prednisone at breakfast.

Didn't say last night because was so excited about him eating, but before he ate, we took him out at 8:30, and he helped Barkly chase a bunny out of their fenced area for about 40 feet. Barked once at it, but sounded hoarse.

Then when we were going to bring them in and try again to get him to eat, he decided he's going for a walk and I was going to follow. Took off the patio and walked the perimeter of about 2 acres. Seemed a little weak for about the last 100 feet. That's when he came in and ate some.

Just offering food every couple of hours and letting him rest.

Sounds like he's improving.  You're doing a great job, Dee.  He's so lucky to have you!   :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 01:44:40 PM »
This article was written about cats with Addison's, but you might find some of the information helpful.  Please also read the comment posted.  I'd read Dr. Plechner's book a while ago, and that might be very useful for treating Vlad.  I have a summary of his info on PFK here:  http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=2514.msg16698#msg16698

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2014/07/27/cats-addisons-disease.aspx
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 01:51:22 PM by Pookie »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 08:10:43 AM »
How's Vlad doing today, Dee?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 10:03:49 AM »
This morning, Vlad's eaten about 2/3 the amount of his normal breakfast on his own. (I've been sitting on the floor and hand-feeding him since he still seemed weak yesterday when standing after a while, and he was taking a long time to eat.) He's stopping the abnormal chewing of his food that he did the past 36 hours. He's getting back to some of the grab-n-gulp eating.

His tail is about halfway back up and wagging, and he's "smiling" again.

He's not drinking as much as he has in the past week. I think that he's stabilizing better now. But his saliva is kind of thick and slimy when I push his meds into his throat. Hopefully once he's completely back to his grab-n-gulp, I can start handing him pills inside a ball of meat like normal and get it into him that way.

He's had a couple of panting, looking-stressed episodes yesterday & last night, but it stops if I get in the floor to brush and massage him.

I have to take my mom to an appointment today, so while she's there, Daddy and I are going to go to Petco and get some more K10+ calming formula (that his vet okayed) and one of those Sentry Calming Collars to put on him since his other one is so weak now. He's supposed to be staying calm, but now he's getting a bit of bounce back into him.

Until someone in that Yahoo group talked to me about keeping him calm and resting--only going out to potty and back in--for a few days, I didn't know he wasn't supposed to be exerting himself like that 2 acre walk Monday night. I guess the vet didn't think he'd feel like doing anything like that.

I'm putting his head-collar on him at night now so that I can keep his hard-headed self from walking so far a lot easier. It's easy in the daytime when the sun is out, because he hates sun, but not so easy at night.

Best news, the woman in the Yahoo group said he wouldn't have to be on low-potassium forever because that monthly shot takes care of stabilizing their electrolytes. She said several there fed raw, and they can eat what they want.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2015, 10:27:46 AM »
Best news, the woman in the Yahoo group said he wouldn't have to be on low-potassium forever because that monthly shot takes care of stabilizing their electrolytes. She said several there fed raw, and they can eat what they want.

That is wonderful!  I'm glad the folks there are helping you with all of this!

It sounds like it's baby steps for him to recover from his ordeal this weekend, but he'll be back to his "hard-headed"  :D self soon.   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

(((((HUGS))))) to you and Vlad!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2015, 03:59:34 PM »
Thanks for the updates Dee. I'm so relieved to hear he's doing better. He couldn't be in better hands, that's for sure. xx

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2015, 07:08:16 PM »
Thank you both. I just can't tell you how relieved I am that he's recovering at a good steady rate. His crisis this weekend was a nightmare I wouldn't wish on anyone.

grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug grouphug

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2015, 06:43:09 AM »
Well last night he rolled in the grass a little bit, and this morning he rolled in his pea-gravel pile. That's a LOT of physical improvement!

Tags:

'Hare