Author Topic: After a lot of time at vet's offices this week. . .  (Read 7974 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: After a lot of time at vet's offices this week. . .
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2015, 12:12:15 PM »
Any updates?  How's Vlad doing?  How are you doing?   :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2015, 05:53:54 PM »
Well. He's got some kind of infection, and I'm never going to get him balanced with anything else properly until it's gone for sure. Was back at the vet's Monday morning with a fever. He put him on Baytril, and he's going to gauge things every 2 weeks, but he said Vlad might need to be on antibiotics up to 6 weeks.

That's the thing. Before diagnosis, he'd been on antibiotics every time they saw him, but obviously there was something there, and it never was gotten rid of. He finished his last antibiotics on June 26th after diagnosis.

I almost told him to send blood off and find out what it is. But we're already close to $3000.00 into this. He's got to have blood drawn Friday for his electrolytes and to gauge where we're at with the Percorten injections. I might ask him about it then, but then again, I might just leave him on the antibiotics for 6 weeks. The steroids weaken his immune system anyway.

Oh. And then there's the lightning that struck outside of the house yesterday. We just have gotten TV and Internet back, but the phones aren't working. We might have to have the whole house's phone system rewired, and if hubs doesn't want to do it himself, then that means I'll be putting up with a contractor and trying to keep Vlad calm during that because stress is bad for him now. Good luck with that I'm telling myself.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 05:55:29 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2015, 06:06:40 PM »
Poor Vlad!  It might not be a bad idea to ask about getting the blood checked when it's drawn on Friday, if you can swing it, just to make sure he's getting the right antibiotic.  You may have mentioned this before, and I apologize if you did and I've forgotten, but does he also get a probiotic?  I think you've said you give yogurt, but adding a probiotic to that might help with his immune system, too.  Just a suggestion.

Oh. And then there's the lightning that struck outside of the house yesterday. We just have gotten TV and Internet back, but the phones aren't working. We might have to have the whole house's phone system rewired, and if hubs doesn't want to do it himself, then that means I'll be putting up with a contractor and trying to keep Vlad calm during that because stress is bad for him now. Good luck with that I'm telling myself.

:o  Wow, is everyone ok?  If you end up having to bring in a contractor, would it be possible to take the furkids for a very long outing while the tech does the work?  Maybe an RV trip for a couple of days?  Or would that stress Vlad out, too?

HangInThere grouphug HangInThere grouphug HangInThere grouphug HangInThere grouphug

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2015, 06:31:59 PM »
:o  Wow, is everyone ok?  If you end up having to bring in a contractor, would it be possible to take the furkids for a very long outing while the tech does the work?  Maybe an RV trip for a couple of days?  Or would that stress Vlad out, too?

We're fine. It just scared the heck out of the 3 of us. There's a tree on the neighbor's fence, but hubs couldn't find any sign of where the lightning hit on our land, and he's not going over on their property looking since it's so much more brushy than ours.

The tree is shredded though, and he says it looks like it was twisted, but he can't see any ground burnt around the base like it would if lightning hit it. So we really don't know exactly where it hit. I just know that was the brightest light I've ever seen flashing through the french doors, and there was a crackly popping out there that kind of sounded like a LOT of firecrackers going off all at once. Didn't shake the house from the roof like normal thunder either. The boom was in the floor.

If you end up having to bring in a contractor, would it be possible to take the furkids for a very long outing while the tech does the work?  Maybe an RV trip for a couple of days?  Or would that stress Vlad out, too?

Unfortunately hubs took the week of July 4th off because of everything that had been going on. He'd been scared by Vlad too, and he needed a break. He can't take off again this soon. I'm not so sure I'd like leaving the house alone with a contractor anyway. The RV safe isn't big enough to hold all the guns, etc. in here.

Poor Vlad!  It might not be a bad idea to ask about getting the blood checked when it's drawn on Friday, if you can swing it, just to make sure he's getting the right antibiotic.  You may have mentioned this before, and I apologize if you did and I've forgotten, but does he also get a probiotic?  I think you've said you give yogurt, but adding a probiotic to that might help with his immune system, too.  Just a suggestion.

I'm seriously thinking about the blood test--though, I'm reminding myself, Baytril is so strong that it kills things like tick-born illness a lot faster than tetracycline. My eyes kind of got big when I saw what I'd been given. Baytril is really strong, kinda scary stuff. But I think it's already working. He's not as clingy today as he's been, and he's slept peacefully a lot of the day. I've figured out now that when he's especially clingy, he doesn't feel good, but doesn't know how to tell me what's wrong. That's how I found out he had a fever Sunday evening.

I just have to keep my fingers crossed that he doesn't get any of the bad side effects of Baytril and have to be taken off of it. If that happens, I'll for sure insist that he gets a blood test.

He called the head doctor in there to see Vlad too, to make sure he wasn't missing anything, and he agreed with the treatment and didn't suggest anything else be done either.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2015, 07:34:27 PM »
 fingerscrossed the Baytril does the trick and Vlad's back to his usual self soon!   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

I'm glad you're all ok!

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2015, 05:24:24 PM »
Poo... sorry to hear about Vlad. Poor guy. 
That lightning story... SCARY stuff!!!! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2015, 05:35:46 PM »
Well earlier when hubs got home and they were taken out, Vlad played chase with Barkly for the first time since he was diagnosed. He was even doing his in-the-air-360-jumps.

THAT's a lot of progress in our eyes.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2015, 06:48:11 PM »
All right, Vlad!   thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2015, 10:06:40 AM »
Vlad's electrolytes are fine, and the vet is going to do some reading on the information we took to him about newer findings on treating Addisons. He read some of it when we were waiting for the electrolyte levels to be done after drawing blood. He lowered his Percorten 5% because he felt safer doing what the Veterinary Endocrinologist, Dr. Mark E. Peterson, said than doing what the vet, Dr. Julia Bates, said--at least until he does more research into her newer info.

He's willing to do more research on all of this because we took in in veterinary studies and information from actual vets instead of anecdotal information from the group--though the anecdotal is backing up the newer information.

We're all on the same page now and will work on lowering the Percorten, but he agrees with me that it's not a good idea to go below 5mg of Prednisone yet. I can't gauge "too much prednisone" symptoms here in the summer when a lot of those symptoms are the same as him just being hot in the summer. So his Prednisone amounts will be worked on once it's cool weather again.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2015, 10:17:43 AM »
That is GREAT news, DeeDee!  Both about Vlad's electrolytes and that the vet is listening to you and the information you provided, and willing to do more research.  (I love that the anecdotal information is backing up the newer information.   :D  Makes things much easier all around).

Thanks for the update!   :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2015, 06:42:42 PM »
Today I got to this link in my research list for reading: http://canineaddisonsinfo.com/

It's got some great info in the "Tools" section about how you're supposed to understand blood tests.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2015, 02:38:22 PM »
Super happy to hear things are going a bit better for Vlad!!!  You and your vet "on the same page" .... don't hear that very often.  ;) 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2015, 07:51:45 PM »
Just catching up Dee. I'm so sorry to hear aobut the lightening how scary!  Has that all been done now? (the wiring...?)

Sound slike Vlad is responding to the Baytril;. It's strong, but it's a god antibiotic. I don't understand half of what I read in this thread but I try to follow along and of course all paws are crossed for Vlad!  :-*

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2015, 08:12:15 PM »
Just catching up Dee. I'm so sorry to hear aobut the lightening how scary!  Has that all been done now? (the wiring...?)

Everything that was blown was replaced by the cable company--with husband going to the local office and trading parts--but we don't know for sure about the phone lines yet. The main phone that runs everything else is plugged directly into the modem because he's not felt like climbing around under stuff to plug it all back up to the way it was before to test the phone lines.

The cable that the lightning ran into also blew a splitter outside at the pole, but he was lucky enough to have one of those in his electrical pack.

It ran down to him fixing it because Comcast wasn't going to get their butts here until Sunday. Six days isn't okay for us with my parents since my mother can't remember to call my cell half the time even though I tell her to. She left a million voice mails on the phone while it was out even though I'd already called her.

Vlad's recheck for the Baytril is Monday. He's a lot better now, but still not exactly himself completely. We'll get there though. Just might take a few months.

Tags:

'Hare