Author Topic: Fireworks. . .  (Read 887 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Fireworks. . .
« on: July 04, 2015, 10:11:23 PM »
They've been going on again here since 8:30 tonight. The K10+ works for calming them down as long as we don't try to make them go outside after fireworks start. At least that's been the way it has been in the past. We didn't leave to go riding around fast enough tonight b/c the sun seemed to set before normal due to clouds, and once it starts, you can forget getting Barkly near a door.

Thing is, Vlad just went out to potty at 9:00 with hubs since Barkly was fairly calm laying on my feet. Vlad's not voluntarily gone out with fireworks going on since July, 2013, but he did tonight knowing that it was going on out there. I've been blaming it on us getting caught between the house and the concussions of the start in 2013, but maybe that's not been it.

Starting to think that maybe he's had Addison's for a long time, and we're getting the old Vlad back. (Before some of the odd personality quirks like fireworks-fear that didn't exist when he was 6 mths old.) Hoping a lot of his more-laid-back self will come back now that he's being treated.

Barkly still isn't going to go outside though.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
Re: Fireworks. . .
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 08:35:16 AM »
Wow... sounds like Barkly and Vlad did pretty good!  Especially Vlad.  Treatment seems to be working pretty good for him.  Glad to hear it.
We had 3 nights of fireworks...by neighbors.  *sigh*  Our home is block, but our windows are paper thin. 
I don't think the Rescue Remedy or the K10 worked.  Or didn't work as well as I had hoped. 
Most hid under beds or in closets.  Lacy dog and Arrows were a mess.  Lola... didn't care at all.
Before it all started, hubby let Lacy dog out to potty one last time.  When he opened the door, Arrows ran outside.  Just as hubby picked him up... BOOM.  Hubby was able to hold onto him!!  Although hubby's chest area and shirt were somewhat shredded. 
I am SO thankful for hubby.  I would have thought his natural reaction would have been to let go of Arrows. 

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 10:17:46 AM »
I wonder if Arrows will stay away from the door from now on . . .

I'm sorry the furkids had such a rough few days.   :(
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 10:37:58 AM »
I wonder if Arrows will stay away from the door from now on . . .

It is weird.  He shows no interest in wanting outside.  We don't have to fight him off every time we open the door, or anything like that.  The garage...that is another story.
I hate to say it, but... I hope it scared him enough to NEVER do it again.  My neighborhood has every possible danger there is! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags:

'Hare