Author Topic: Mazy cat's dental  (Read 13017 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Mazy cat's dental
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 10:05:35 AM »

I was wondering if ear cleaning and anal glad expressing were routine (or should be)... in general?   

If you're talking raw fed dogs, Lola, it's rarely done. It's just not an issue when an animal has the right poop going through to stimulate the anal glands to express the lubricating oil.

Ear cleaning, well I have a weekly routine for that too. It's easier to keep them clean with a good cleaner to alleviate the need for a complete ear flush by a vet than it is to risk an ear infection by letting their ears get dirty down deep. I'm more inclined to believe that routine ear cleaning is more important than worrying about anal glands because raw food directly affects the anal gland health.

Both cleaners I use are listed for dogs AND cats:

http://www.drugs.com/vet/earmed-boracetic-flush.html

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/earwash-teatree-oil

I found that using one of them every 3 days with Dannyboy ended the ear infections, and the vets have never had any remarks about dirty ears since I've continued it for years. Just rotate which you use every 3 days.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 10:08:07 AM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 01:56:13 PM »
Good lucky tomorrow!!!! (((Mazy)))
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 01:58:12 PM »
PS
Thanks for the info, DeeDee.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 07:48:19 PM »
Wishing Mazy cat (and her Mommy) good luck and hoping she's feeling back to her normal fun self soon!   HeadButt HeadButt
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 09:21:42 PM »
Thanks you guys.  Trying hard not to be a mess about it.  Can't settle on anything. Jumpy as heck.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 09:25:47 PM »
Thanks you guys.  Trying hard not to be a mess about it.  Can't settle on anything. Jumpy as heck.

HeadButt grouphug  Everything will be fine.  Everything will be fine.  Everything will be fine.  Everything will be fine.  Everything will be fine.  grouphug  HeadButt

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 09:31:36 PM »
Once that brick of worry is off your shoulders and Mazy is SO much better... you will be wondering why you worried so much.   ;D

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 10:50:54 PM »
Once that brick of worry is off your shoulders and Mazy is SO much better... you will be wondering why you worried so much.   ;D

You and MC both will be a lot calmer and happy once it's all over. Remind yourself of these words.  :D
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 10:04:15 AM »
Just checking in to see how everything went, and to see how you and Mazy cat are doing.

grouphug

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2015, 10:13:17 AM »
Is it 11 there yet? It's 10:13 here.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2015, 10:45:10 AM »
They called and asked me to bring her in a little earlier.  She's been there since 10:30.  I can't settle, on anything.

This morning, every time I woke up, I rolled over and went back to sleep, trying to spend as much time in bed as possible, to delay the "Not feeding of the cats".  The last time I forced myself back to sleep was about 8:00 and I dreamed about Tolly  angelRIP.

The dream was extremely convoluted, as dreams are, but the Tolly part was very clear, I was taking him in for a dental, but (without going into dream details) I was sitting on the outside step of a house (not my house) and Tolly was under the bushes across the yard and I called to him to come because it was time to go.  He ran over and jumped right up on my lap and I was stroking him and telling him about the dental.  Right in the middle of that my conscious mind intruded and I woke up thinking "wait a minute it's not Tolly, it's Mazy going in today."

It was 8:30 and I stumbled blindly out of bed still thinking about Tolly. After  minute I woke up enough to think about the dream, and I tried to see if there was any kind of ominous message, but aside from the confusion the first part of the dream had brought on (nothing to do with the cats) there was no feeling of anything bad happening.  So I concluded that Tolly just came by to remind me that he'd been through this type of ordeal many times and always was fine, and Mazy cat would be too.

I hope.

I also hope she is under right now getting it all done.

I can expect a call anytime between 12:30 and 2:30, so I was told.  (they wait until she wakes up from the anesthesia to call, I think)

Thank goodness I took this day off!

Thank you so much for waiting with me you guys.  It helps a tremendous amount to know you are out there, thinking about us.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2015, 10:52:50 AM »
Sending purrs to you and Mazy cat . . . .  HeadButt

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2015, 12:10:25 PM »
She's all done!  Two extractions, two others were just sharp points with gum growing over them,  vet smoothed them down. Not enough in the bladder for a urine sample, ears were okay (did not need cleaning) anal glands expressed.

She can come home at 3:00.

Clavamox pills, simbodol pain meds.

bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2015, 12:30:11 PM »
YES! SO glad she's done well with it.  HeadButt

She'll be back to her normal (and better) self in no time at all now.  :-*

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2015, 01:43:25 PM »
Yay!  dance1

Tags: