Author Topic: What's Happened to a BRT Breeder that I know. . .  (Read 1858 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
What's Happened to a BRT Breeder that I know. . .
« on: October 16, 2015, 09:01:06 PM »
This was posted in one of the BRT health groups a couple of days ago. It's not any of Vlad's family, but it's still the BRT family.

I am so angry a vet right now. One of my puppies who is in a wonderful home is possibly going to die because of the stupid, money grabbing vet. They took her in for her 1 year check up. The vet gave her bordatella, DAPP, lepto, rabies, heartworm injection(ProHeart6), wormed her and then had them bring her back in 2 weeks for anesthesia for teeth cleaning. 2 days after the cleaning she began showing temperament changes and by 4 days she is in immune mediated thrombocytopenia. She is being treated at LSU, now. The vet even did a fecal and said it was clear and then worked her anyway. Money grabbing Banfield strikes again!!! PLEASE PLEASE everyone be aware and be strong about not allowing a vet to give more than one vaccine at a time. Give raw bones rather than anesthesia for teeth cleaning. In 20 years I have never had a BRTs teeth cleaned and never had a tooth problem. Be careful of the new heartworm meds that get everything or last 6 months. LSU even said it was probably he result of giving too much at once. We must stand up for our dogs. To many vets, particularly the big chains are out for money only. Know what is right and stand up to the vet or change vets.

Still no update on the puppy. Who the heck cleans the teeth of a PUPPY??? A freaking puppy!!! BRTs aren't considered fully, physically grown until they're 18-24 months, and their emotional/personality growth isn't considered mature until they're 3-4 yrs. So yes, a year old is still a puppy!

God, NEVER take your pets to McVet places like Banfield!!! And pay attention to what they're doing!!! This is one of the comments in that post:

We need to be aware that some of these places have a goal of as much money per visit as possible. One trick is to take the dog in the back to draw blood for the annual health check then when they bring it back they proudly tell the owner that they have it all the vaccinations that were due. Do not let your dog out of your sight, if they will not do what they need to in front of you, walk out!!!

Yes. there's a lot of discussion there about people not doing what the BRT breeders tell them, but these are a different breed of dog. People MUST start understanding that. They're not telling you these things to hear themselves rattle.

This can happen to ANY puppy though, but some breeds are more susceptible to issues like this. Do some research! Pay attention to what your research tells you. Quit mindlessly following any health professional that says, "You need to do this."

Ask WHY it needs to be done. And then be ready to advocate for your dog, find another vet if you anger them. You're supposed to be a team, not an engineer and a robot. You're NOT supposed to be a robot!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 09:04:47 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: What's Happened to a BRT Breeder that I know. . .
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 08:13:32 AM »
What does BRT actually mean?  this is the breed of our Vlad?

I agree with you about Banfield.   It's the main reason I have stopped ordering many of my pet supplies on line. They are all mostly owned by Petsmart now and Petsmart houses BANFIELD.

BAN Banfield, gawd they make me sick.

All paws crossed for the precious little one. Poor puppy.  Feel bad for the humans too.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 11:36:42 AM »
Yes. BRT means Black Russian Terrier--Vlad's breed. It's a rare breed so a lot of us keep up with each other.

I feel sorry for the puppy's owners, but they darned well should have listened (and read the package handout from the breeder at pick-up) to the breeder. People get these breeds but then don't listen to the health concerns about them. Too many of them think it's just another dog that can handle anything the vet wants. I'll just be glad when they find the gene for Addison's so they can have a test for that too along with all the other health tests done on BRT breeding stock.

I know this breeder well from online, and she's one of the ones that preaches the health concerns like Vlad's mom does. These dogs require a lot of work from the good breeders (like all breeds should actually), and it upsets them to lose one senselessly. I really hope this one isn't lost because this was so senseless.

Honestly, I think they should start having these health issues put into part of the contracts on a special print-out and have to take the section with them to the vets they choose with orders to call the breeders before they start doing a lot of their routine crap--at least have the owners contracted to show the vet how they have to do the shots for these guys. It would be better than depending on the new owners to be able to say, "No. You can't do that." Not everyone has the gumption to be as demanding as us and Vlad's brother's parents.

This is a strong, robust breed if people pay attention to the breeders. Some things like Addison's can pop up out of the blue from nowhere, but a lot of it can and should be avoided.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 01:48:01 PM »
That poor puppy!  I'm so sorry for what he/she and the pet parents are going through.

Honestly, I think they should start having these health issues put into part of the contracts on a special print-out and have to take the section with them to the vets they choose with orders to call the breeders before they start doing a lot of their routine crap--at least have the owners contracted to show the vet how they have to do the shots for these guys. It would be better than depending on the new owners to be able to say, "No. You can't do that." Not everyone has the gumption to be as demanding as us and Vlad's brother's parents.

That's a really good idea.  And if the vet gives the owner a hard time about it, or doesn't take it seriously, then the owner should take the dog and walk out.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: