Author Topic: Playtime With The Cats  (Read 638 times)

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
Playtime With The Cats
« on: January 12, 2018, 08:25:47 PM »
We need a new game.  They may not, but I do.    ;D

This isn't exactly a game, but... today I took a belt with me, as I walked around the house doing different things.  I let the belt drag by my side.  I'm holding it, not wearing it.  Different cats tried to catch the belt, at different times.  It was a hoot!   Silly7

Lacy dog had no interest.  :( 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Playtime With The Cats
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 09:26:29 PM »

Which is good. She has a proper respect for YOUR things. You don't want dogs thinking that your stuff is theirs. Really. You don't.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 11:05:23 AM »
Which is good. She has a proper respect for YOUR things. You don't want dogs thinking that your stuff is theirs. Really. You don't.

It isn't a belt that I wear, if that is what you mean.  It is an old belt, that was being used to hold together a mattress topper-ish thing for easy storage.  The topper was rolled up, and the belt kept it rolled up. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 11:08:44 AM »
It isn't a belt that I wear, if that is what you mean.  It is an old belt, that was being used to hold together a mattress topper-ish thing for easy storage.  The topper was rolled up, and the belt kept it rolled up. 

But that's still "your" stuff. Dogs that recognize that are intelligently respectful.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 11:33:43 AM »
We need a new game.  They may not, but I do.    ;D

This isn't exactly a game, but... today I took a belt with me, as I walked around the house doing different things.  I let the belt drag by my side.  I'm holding it, not wearing it.  Different cats tried to catch the belt, at different times.  It was a hoot!   Silly7

That IS a Game!  We play that here sometimes (Queen Eva likes it) though I don't use a belt, and it's actually something I recommend to people when they complain their cats "are always asking for attention" or kittens who need to be trained not to attack ankles..

So I think you are brilliant for thinking of it!

An old belt is a good idea! I use duct tape for those kinds of things.  ;D  In fact the egg crate mattress pads are taking up almost half my bedroom, held in a roll with duct tape.  funny2

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 11:42:36 AM »
But that's still "your" stuff. Dogs that recognize that are intelligently respectful.

I think I know what you mean... she likely sees it as a cat toy... their toy.  She doesn't play with their toys, unless they "invite" her to play WITH them. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 11:43:24 AM »
I think I know what you mean... she likely sees it as a cat toy... their toy.  She doesn't play with their toys, unless they "invite" her to play WITH them. 

Love it!

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 11:46:39 AM »
kittens who need to be trained not to attack ankles..

I will never remember that to recommend it, BUT it would definitely work for ankle biters!!  I think everyone has a belt or two.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 12:56:23 PM »
Speaking of dogs and cats living together...

Our dog (at the time) "found" a litter of kittens in our backyard.  She didn't mess with them, she just showed us her discovery.  :)  Fast forward to mama cat leaving one kitten behind, and our first cat joins the family!
Dog and cat acted like they didn't know the other existed.  There was no dislike between them, but there was no shared time together either.   

A few years later, and a few more cats... (other dog now deceased) new dog joins the family.  She did NOT like cats.  Keept dog and cats separate, for the most part.   Not an easy task either!

Fast forward again, to Lacy.  Soooooo different from the other dogs.  I don't know if this will make sense, but you can see the love and respect she has for the cats.  And them for her.  They often share mealtime, playtime, sleep time, etc., but they also know the others' boundaries... so to speak.

Lacy has NEVER shown ANY sort of attitude towards the cats.  Not even to Jenkins when he was new, and would take a swipe at Lacy, when they would meet in tight spaces.  Lacy didn't flinch.  Didn't look at him.  No response whatsoever.  To this day, Lacy seems to understand that tight spaces make Jenkins nervous.  Lacy will stop and let Jenkins go first, if they should meet in the hallway.  If Jenkins is in the bathroom with me first... Lacy will stay out. 

They all sleep on the sofa, or spare room beds together.  Lacy has a dog bed in the master bedroom.  It is her bed.  They all seemed to establish the rules together.  At first, if a cat was in the middle of her bed, Lacy wouldn't try to find a sleeping spot "around" the cat...she would come get us to fix the situation.  :) 
Now the norm is ...she will share her bed, but Lacy gets first choice of the area she wants.  Lola is the only one that will sleep on Lacy's bed with Lacy.  Once in a while, Lilly will.  The other cats are either not allowed, or not interested.  I missed that discussion.  :) 

When eating, they all eat out of their own plates and bowls.  Only after the cats have walked away, will Lacy "clean" their plates.  The cats almost always finish eating first, but they NEVER go to Lacy's bowl to sample or see what she is eating. 

BUT dogs are dogs and cats are cats.  If we leave the house, we put Lacy in the master bedroom by herself.  Not taking any chances, especially if they all know we aren't home, and not there to supervise.  Might be crazy, but (like human kids) behavior might be a litttttle bit different, when the parents aren't home. 
With everything in me, I do not think Lacy would hurt one of the cats on purpose (or them her).... but if a situation happened and Lacy thought she needed to defend herself... 

The point of my rambling  :) I LOVE how the cats and Lacy dog love and respect each other. 

This bunch is a lot of work and a lot of expense, but the love is priceless. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 01:01:36 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 01:20:28 PM »
Oh thank you so much for writing all that out.  I enjoyed reading it so much, and enjoy even more knowing more about the dynamics at your house!  Hug1 Hug1 Hug1

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 01:24:59 PM »
I always think it's so great when some households can have multi-species pets all together. I'm not trying though. Prey drive is TOO strong in these two. Barkly kills moles. Vlad goes berserk when he sees the neighbors' cats out in the brush. Then there's their reaction to cats in carriers at the vet's office. Just too much risk in my mind.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 01:37:04 PM »
Thanks for reading!  :)

What made me think to post all of that was...  it is normal for Lacy to play games with us and the cats.  So her not playing with the belt, was technically odd. 
Also, when Lacy was sick (from swallowing the rope toy pieces...before we knew that was the problem)... Lilly gave Lacy kisses on the nose.  A few times.  It isn't that they aren't friends, but it was different.  My first thought was... OMG what does Lilly know!  Of course, I wasn't thinking that Lilly just knew that Lacy was under the weather....my mind goes right to something more horrible. 

All of the above, got me to thinking... gosh, we have a WONDERFUL fur family!  We truly are very blessed. 
If you would have asked me several years ago if 6 cats, all from different backgrounds, would all get along as well as they do, AND with a dog.... and actually love and enjoy each other... I would have said, "No way!" 

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 01:51:03 PM »
I always think it's so great when some households can have multi-species pets all together. I'm not trying though. Prey drive is TOO strong in these two. Barkly kills moles. Vlad goes berserk when he sees the neighbors' cats out in the brush. Then there's their reaction to cats in carriers at the vet's office. Just too much risk in my mind.

I agree about prey drive and such.  In your shoes, I would leave things as they are. 
Lacy is only comfortable with the ones she lives with.  Other animals at the vet office, on walks, etc.. she goes into FULL panic.  Okay so she doesn't want to attack them, but...  a fearful dog is (or can be) a dangerous dog.  IMHO 

Friends or family will see how loving Lacy is, and want to bring their dogs over to our home.  No! 

Going back to prey drive... when Arrows would run out the door and into the backyard.... Lacy would "catch" him.  She would just cut him off of his running path... to where we could catch him.  After a few times, we would say to Lacy "Catch Arrows!"  The last time, she stood over Arrows.  She didn't do anything, but stand over him, but...first time ever, Arrows was scared.  He stood like a statue.  It hit us... we are encouraging Lacy's prey drive... and Arrows knows it!  Never again. 

Anytime he got out after that, we told Lacy "no."  She didn't help.  She is AWESOME and smart! 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 01:52:41 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2018, 05:01:58 PM »
I agree about prey drive and such.  In your shoes, I would leave things as they are. 
Lacy is only comfortable with the ones she lives with.  Other animals at the vet office, on walks, etc.. she goes into FULL panic.  Okay so she doesn't want to attack them, but...  a fearful dog is (or can be) a dangerous dog.  IMHO 

Friends or family will see how loving Lacy is, and want to bring their dogs over to our home.  No! 

Going back to prey drive... when Arrows would run out the door and into the backyard.... Lacy would "catch" him.  She would just cut him off of his running path... to where we could catch him.  After a few times, we would say to Lacy "Catch Arrows!"  The last time, she stood over Arrows.  She didn't do anything, but stand over him, but...first time ever, Arrows was scared.  He stood like a statue.  It hit us... we are encouraging Lacy's prey drive... and Arrows knows it!  Never again. 

Anytime he got out after that, we told Lacy "no."  She didn't help.  She is AWESOME and smart! 

Wow.  DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 09:55:47 PM »
LOVED reading this thread!   love1 love1 love1 love1 love1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags:

'Hare