Author Topic: Are There No Safe Dog Toys?  (Read 592 times)

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
Are There No Safe Dog Toys?
« on: January 14, 2018, 11:32:31 AM »
I know I SHOULD know better, but... do mfg of baby toys make toys, that they know a baby will get hurt when playing with the toy?  I (apparently) can't wrap my head around that it IS done with dog toys. 

I bought Lacy a rope chew toy.  It was supposed to be made of cotton and safe. 

Not thinking about the toy...

The other day Lacy was ...  off.  She just wasn't her happy little self.  She ate breakfast and lunch, like normal....and then she skipped dinner.  Hubby and I were pretty worried.  It isn't normal for her not to eat a meal, especially something she LIKES.  BUT do you take your dog to ER because she skipped one meal and is acting off?  She does NOT do well being around strange animals.  What tests would a vet put her through?  SOMETHING is wrong, but wrong enough to take her to the vet? 

I went over everything in the food that she did eat.... nothing new or different. 
Did she get into the cat boxes?  Nope.
I had cat boxes in the backyard soaking.  Did she mess with them maybe?

Then she started drooling heavily.  More panic.  She didn't "qualify" for all the reasons for drooling, except maybe a tooth issue. 

Then she barfed.  Tiny little pieces of the rope toy was in the barf.  Lacy back to normal.  *sigh* 

Maybe the toy is safe as long as the dog never chews on it.... I don't know.  It said "rope chew toy."

Back to bully sticks only....

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Are There No Safe Dog Toys?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 11:36:59 AM »
So glad she puked it up.  Did you examine the toy to see how much was missing, and compare, to ensure it all came up? Will you investigate her poop as well?

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 12:01:08 PM »
I was SO pizzed at the toy and myself, I tossed it right away.  But I wouldn't have been able to tell anyway.  She has had the toy for a while.  It had a lot of knots on it, when it was new.  Dog chews off the knots.  Mom throws away the chewed off part. 
I am assuming she just accidentally swallowed some of it this last time. 
Soooooo I guess the toy is technically safe, as long as the dog doesn't swallow any of it.   pullingouthair

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 12:51:48 PM »
I don't ever let them have toys unless I'm with them. As soon I'm through playing with them, I put them up in a box in a closet.

Favorite toys that have lasted quite a while:

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/tug-n-toss-jolly-balls Buy larger than mouth

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/the-best-ball     Buy these balls larger than their mouth so they can only push and chase

Large size: https://www.jefferspet.com/products/nuts-for-knots

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/nuts-for-knots-rope-tug-with-braided-stick-assorted-16

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/hardcore-firehose-dog-toys

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/ruffin-it-huge-tennis-ball-tug-toy

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/5-pack-thinnies

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/kong-wobbler-1  I put dried liver pieces in it. Always take up, empty after play and wash out, or it lures ants.

Always buy balls and ropes larger than the dog needs. If balls fit in their mouth, they're too small. Buy only ropes with tight, heavy braiding and no stringy ends. Never buy toys that are for tug-of-war OR play tug-of-war with a dog that you know can physically beat you. It's just not a good idea to let a dog win in any kind of physical confrontation.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 01:09:51 PM »
Hubby and I work different shifts.  There are a few hours (sometimes) when no one is home, and Lacy is locked in a bedroom by herself.  I feel badly for her.  I thought (or didn't) that the rope chew toy was something that would occupy her alone time. 

Lacy isn't one to play catch.. with people.  She will play a spring toy game with the cats.  It involves them "shooting" the spring toy at her, and her "shooting" it back at them.  We also have indoor games we play with her, but they always seem to involve the cats as well.  Lacy doesn't like to be outdoors much.  I think I know the reason, but that thread is for another time.  Anyway, that limits alone playtime. 

I learned (and remembered surprisingly) about the tug a war games not being a good thing.  And that a dog toy needed to be larger then their mouth and/or head.  The rope toy was very large and tight... when new.  It was still large, but not so tight after all the months of chewing.  I probably should have tossed it sooner.  Either way, not buying another. 

Lacy does have an Extreme Kong that she likes VERY much.  One toy just seems kinda pathetic. 

I'll check out your links.  Thanks. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 01:20:16 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 01:13:47 PM »
After looking at a few of your links...
In a nutshell, my mistake was allowing Lacy to "play" on her own with the toy. 

What do people do for dogs that have a lot of alone time?  For years, she had a dog friend.  Not going that route though! 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 01:15:37 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 01:20:49 PM »
Well one of those wobblers would work. They want the food in them, but it's not THAT easy to get the food out.

I finally found the one the boys have. It's really hard plastic, and they've never broken it:

https://www.chewy.com/starmark-treat-dispensing-bob-lot/dp/45491

The videos at that page show a lot of different ones, but I like the one they've got.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 01:59:34 PM »
I truly appreciate your suggestions... I do.  Lacy is what I would call a power chewer.  She can destroy one of those red Kongs in a few hours...to give you an idea.  The Extreme Kong is the only one that lasts a few months. 
Hard plastic... I don't see that going well.  With or without me watching her.  If she knows something is FOR her... it is destroyed.
Also, she can swallow a 10 inch bully stick!  The only way to give her a bully stick (with us watching) is attaching vice grips to it.  She swallowed a turkey neck that was HUGE. 
Between her chewing and swallowing "skills," toys and such are limited. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 03:50:56 PM »
Lacy is what I would call a power chewer.  She can destroy one of those red Kongs in a few hours...to give you an idea.  The Extreme Kong is the only one that lasts a few months. 

Vlad's like that, and this is the reason nothing is left out if I'm not right with them watching play. The only thing I've left them alone with is that wobbler. Vlad's never tried to chew the wobble for some reason. He's gotten really rough with pawing it though, even knocking it into the stone hearth a lot.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 07:12:31 PM »
There are a few hours (sometimes) when no one is home, and Lacy is locked in a bedroom by herself.

I wouldn't worry about this.  It's her routine.  She's used to it.  She probably sleeps. Has a chew on an itch.  Looks out the window if she hears something. Walks around, has a drink,  goes back to bed.  Hug1

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 09:54:46 PM »
I'm glad Lacy's doing ok now!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags:

'Hare