Author Topic: Jennie developing an intolerance to beef?  (Read 2276 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Jennie developing an intolerance to beef?
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2018, 09:53:20 AM »
Not sure which way I will go if she should need help with constipation again, going forward.

One day at a time . . .  fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2018, 07:08:37 AM »
Jennie had one of those foul soft poops this morning.  bangshead

Incidentally, it was mostly fur.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2018, 08:01:57 AM »
Jennie had a foul poop mostly liquid on Monday July 2, and an out of the litter box poop with fresh blood.

My reasoning went like this:  She has a wing on Sundays.  Either a wing tip, or a split wing middle (also called wingette).  She had had a wing tip on Sunday July 1st.

The wing of course has skin on it, and I've already established that Jennie can, for whatever reaosn, no longer handle skin.  Doh1

The fresh blood?  I don't really know, but I'm guessing she was also unable to digest the bone properly and it caused some scratching on ti's way out.

So that's it for Jennie, no more wings on Sunday.  I feel awful taking them away from her, she loves her wings so much.

So now she gets egg shell calcium on Sunday, like the other two (Sunday is prey model day here)

Incidentally, after that episode on Monday, all has been perfectly normal with her poops. A LOT of fur in them, and none of that awful odor, and no mucus or sloppy poops.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2018, 01:47:59 PM »
More bloody stool today.  Jennie will be going to the vet. I'll call Monday to make an appointment.  It won't be with my usual vet because I will need a late afternoon appointment and my vet doesn't work late afternoons.  I am fine with that and know what vet I want her to see. I don't know this vet's opinion on raw diets, but I guess I will find out.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2018, 07:18:31 PM »
I couldn't remember why I thought the slippery elm wasn't good for Jennie, so last night, with her supper meal I gave her 1/8 teaspoon.

This morning I was reminded.  When she gets SEB, her poop sticks.  To her, so she had to drag her butt all over everything to get it off.  There were, again some signs of fresh blood, but just two tiny drops in the litter box.  The smell ws so bad I had to dump the freshly filled litter boxes and throw away the litter mat.

The other day I remember reading a reference to cats with some anatomical problem where they can't squat properly to poop.  And a little bell went off...at thee time, but then I forgot about it until today.  Jennie is very private about pooping and never lets me watch her.  Only ONCE before have I actually seen her do it and it was the first time she pooped blood..it was about 4 months ago, and she was doing it just as I came home for lunch.  I am so glad I saw her, because I never would have known whose it was.  However, she was standing up to poop.  And then, the other day I happened to see her again in the box.  She had already pooped, but she was still straining a little bit, and again, she was standing up.

So..all this is coming together now, I don't know why I didn't think about it all before.  I don't remember where I read the reference to cats who can't squat to pass stool but I'm writing it all out now so I didn't forget about it.  There was a mention that x rays were needed to diagnose the problem.  I will see that Jennie gets her x rays.

Wait..was it in Dr Becker's article on megacolon?  I see Dee has posted it here, I read it a couple weeks ago. Let me see...

Yep there is is in the box of "causes": Unfortunately she doesn't go into much detail about it.

A neurologic or neuromuscular disease that prevents the cat from assuming the posture necessary for defecation

However she also mentions anal glands, and Jennie has ALWAYS had anal gland problems.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2018, 08:46:04 PM »

However she also mentions anal glands, and Jennie has ALWAYS had anal gland problems.

You don't think she's gotten an infected gland, do you? Is that possibly something you couldn't see?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2018, 05:16:56 AM »
I don't know Dee.  She last had her anal glands expressed on May 11. There isn't any outer swelling and she shows no tenderness or excessive licking to the area. There could be a tear inside I suppose, but if there was, wouldn't there be blood with every poop?

She had a normal poop this morning.  I video taped it much to her annoyance.  She squatted a little more than I saw her those times she was passing the bloody bits, but still not completely normal.  Trying to get a shot of when she's doing it standing, to show the vet.

Sometimes when she has a normal poop, later in the day she will have one of the nasty smelly ones.

Tags:

'Hare