Author Topic: New Dog, Misa!  (Read 1676 times)

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
Re: New Dog, Misa!
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2018, 11:06:58 PM »
She's a Carolina Dog mix.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_Dog

http://packdog.com/breed/carolina-dog

View Viva:  http://packdog.com/viva?browse=breed&browse_id=carolina-dog

Cool!  There is a Caroloina Dog Rescue in my area-ish also.... so that could easily work!  Plus, Misa does resemble some of the ones pictured!!   thumbsup1 thumbsup1

Is there ANY info you can't find, DeeDee?!   :-*
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2018, 11:58:51 PM »
Carolina Dogs were put into the Foundation Stock of the AKC last year. There was an announcement. I just had to remember where I'd seen red dogs like that.

http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/carolina-dog/

http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/foundation-stock-service/

Seriously, when I say I like dogs, it means I'd be the crazy dog lady with a million of them if allowed.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2018, 05:05:41 AM »
Awwww...the precious girl!  Which cat was it who was closest to Lacy?  Is that one showing any particular interest?

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2018, 05:10:15 PM »
The vet office:  What kind of dog is she?
Me:  Carolina Mix
Vet office:  A wild dog?
Me: Kinda (lol)
Vet Office:  I'll just write (inaudible) mix.

Appt. is this Friday morning at our "pro raw" vet.

Misa lost her privilege of being allowed outside alone and unleashed today.  I feel badly because she reallllly likes the sunshine. 
Anyway, she did some digging under the gate this morning.  Thankfully, the gate is sturdy and there are cement blocks buried under the gate opening.  The kind of block that is used for block walls.  She would have to do some serious digging, but her desire to escape is prettttttty strong today.  We were informed she is a HUGE flight risk.  That wasn't an understatement.  Anytime an outside door is opened, she is ready to run. 

She does have free rein of the inside of the house today. 
I take her outside, on a leash, to walk around and potty. As much as she is afraid of people, she does reallllly well on a leash.
She also got some outside alone time before lunch.  I left the leash attached to her, so I could "catch" her later. 

As far as the cats... Lilly and Lola were the closest to Lacy dog.  Lilly hasn't gone near Misa.  Lola, the one we thought would be the second easiest going (Arrows being the first)... is not happy.  She hasn't hissed at her or anything, but her tail got a bit puffy a few times.  She is the only one that has shown a kind of a negative-ish reaction. 

Arrows... the more the merrier!  lol

There are plenty of safe places the cats can go, if they feel the need. 

Right now, Lola is on the bed in the master bedroom.  Misa is also in the same room.  That's an improvement already.

Misa doesn't seek any of them out.  If they come to her, she is good with them, but she doesn't make the first move.

Basically, Misa is the dog version of Jenkins. 

The rescue people stayed at our house, on Sunday, for almost 2 hours.  Misa was a "normal" dog with them.  So, we know it will happen with us as well.  We just can't rush her.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 05:16:11 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2018, 05:25:19 PM »
The vet office:  What kind of dog is she?
Me:  Carolina Mix
Vet office:  A wild dog?
Me: Kinda (lol)
Vet Office:  I'll just write (inaudible) mix.

Might want to keep  http://packdog.com/viva?browse=breed&browse_id=carolina-dog on your phone for fast information at their office. Plus, you need to make sure they're informed of the fact that these dogs are Foundation Stock in the AKC.

That means that if the numbers rise enough, these dogs will be accepted for registration in the AKC. The AKC just makes the breeders show that the dogs have enough interest to be an accepted breed for showing. The days of Carolina Dogs being "wild" are long gone.  Being accepted as Foundation Stock is proof. People aren't just going to the islands and picking up dogs to try to gentle them for pets.

I've had to do a lot of education about Vlad at the vet's office. He's far from the reactive things that BRTs started out as in the beginning. I don't want Misa to be conceived as a step away from feral.  That breed is far from that these days.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2018, 05:28:04 PM »
She pretty much is one stop away from feral.  The area that she was rescued from... dogs all live on the streets.  Fend for themselves.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2018, 05:33:20 PM »
She pretty much is one stop away from feral.  The area that she was rescued from... dogs all live on the streets.  Fend for themselves.

But that's not because of what breed she has a good likelihood of being.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2018, 06:16:56 PM »
Thank you so much for the detailed updates Lola.  I am loving this.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2018, 07:15:55 PM »
Our house guest will be home soon.  Me, Misa, and Lola are "locked" in the master bedroom.  I'm not 100% positive house guest understands that Misa is a huge flight risk.  An open door is all she needs...

We have told him, but he sees her when she is in a fairly comfortable state.  So, he might not get it... to the extent that he should.  :)

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2018, 08:08:00 PM »
I talked to house guest.  He gets it.  So, I opened the bedroom door.  Misa followed me around the house a bit, so I sat down on the floor.  She walked away.  BUT she came back.  She moved in close to me.  I gave her several pets.  When I stopped, she gave me kisses on the face!!!! 

Normally I'm not fond of kisses on the face, but...  I have a new appreciation for them!   Silly7

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2018, 09:07:35 PM »
I talked to house guest.  He gets it.  So, I opened the bedroom door.  Misa followed me around the house a bit, so I sat down on the floor.  She walked away.  BUT she came back.  She moved in close to me.  I gave her several pets.  When I stopped, she gave me kisses on the face!!!! 

Normally I'm not fond of kisses on the face, but...  I have a new appreciation for them!   Silly7

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :-* :-* :-*

multistars multistars multistars  love1 love1 love1 love1 love1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2018, 04:52:31 AM »

Aww precious girl!

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2018, 05:20:04 PM »
We have been practicing saying "Misa" and then a short whistle for her to come to us.  I did it once, and she responded, so that is how that came about.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  But sometimes is better than no times! 
Anyway, today I called her name and whistled... and then patted the sofa.  She got up on the sofa and sat down.  Never too soon to teach "bad" behavior.  :)   
While she was sitting next to me, I got kisses again.  Hubby saw the whole thing and was SO jealous!  I'll have to figure out a signal "no kisses in front of Dad."  :)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2018, 05:40:48 PM »
LOL. Great for you! She'll get around to him sooner or later.  BTW, I can't teach V&B to get on the furniture. They're both so uncomfortable looking with the whole situation that I just forgot about it ages ago.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2018, 05:42:49 PM »
Since I don't sleep very well... I kinda have allll day to work with her.  With his work hours, and ability to sleep... his time with her is more limited. 

Tags:

'Hare