Author Topic: Misa - Learning To Trust Humans  (Read 2562 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Misa - Learning To Trust Humans
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2018, 05:34:17 PM »
Oh how wonderful!  Congratulations!  Is there anything, any feeling, better than earning an animal's trust and love?

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2018, 06:00:38 PM »
Oh how wonderful!  Congratulations!  Is there anything, any feeling, better than earning an animal's trust and love?

Nothing comes to mind!

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2018, 06:24:06 PM »
It hits me...She IS greeting me!!! Not only is she trusting me more and more each day, she LIKES me!   :D

:'( <---- happy tears in my eyes.

What's not to like?   :)
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2018, 07:29:36 PM »
:'( <---- happy tears in my eyes.

What's not to like?   :)

I cry all the time lately... sad or happy.  Now, YOU are the reason for me tearing up... 
That was sweet.  Thanks.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
Re: Misa - Nail Trim
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2018, 10:19:21 AM »
I have never had a non-senior dog that required nail trims.   

At this point, Misa doesn't play catch.  She won't chase "snacks."  Our walks are short.  Misa LOVES walks, but I am only good for short distances.  Misa doesn't run around the backyard like she did, when she would run from us. 

I have been touching Misa's feet every day, for several weeks.  She is not fond of the touching.  My goal was to get her used to me touching her feet, so I could trim her nails.  It has been going very slow, and her nails are out of control.

Misa did get her nails trimmed a little when we were at the vet.  It took 4 of them.  It wasn't said in a nasty way.  I could continue taking Misa there, but ... I wanted a better situation for Misa.
The lady at the desk, is VERY kind.  We chat a bit quite often.  She gave me a card for a mobil nail trimming service.  I was hesitant, but it did seem like it would be better for Misa to hate someone else, not vet visits... and not me.  :)

The nail trimming lady (Joanne) and I exchanged several emails, before I made a decision. Joanne has a lot of experience with "difficult" dogs.  She also runs a Pit Bull rescue.  It seemed like she understood that some dogs have "baggage."

I gave Misa some Rescue Remedy, before Joanne arrived yesterday.   She asked if she could sit on the living room floor.  "Knock yourself out.  Pretend that litter box, in the middle of the floor, isn't there."  :)  Misa walked right up to Joanne!  Good sign.  Joanne and Misa had good interaction with each other. 
Misa's eyes got a little heavy.  Hmmmm the Rescue Remedy must be working.  Cool.  Next step... out to the van.

The lady let me get into her van first, with Misa's leash in hand.  That is how Misa gets into my car.  I get in first... Misa follows.  Well.... Misa would have NO PART of that!  Joanne picked up Misa and put her into the van.  Misa and I both were surprised! 

Long story short... Rescue Remedy was no match for Misa's stress level!  There was no growling.  No attempts to bite.  But she was NOT going to participate in ANY way.  Wow, is she ever strong and a scrapper!  Maybe she could have been "pushed," but to what extent does one want to push?

Joanne suggested I call the vet and find out if I could get something more powerful.  I did. 

Joanne returned several hours later.  Misa greeted her.  That told me that Misa wasn't holding a grudge.

1/2 of a 25mg pill of acepromazine suggested, prior to anxiety event.  If needed.. give other half - half an hour later.  A full pill later, Misa's nails are trimmed...but not due to total compliance on Misa's part.

I would prefer not to drug Misa, but...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 10:22:12 AM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2018, 10:41:59 AM »
 I've been thinking about Misa.  How often will the nail trims have to be done? Hopefully, in time she'll come to accept it without the Ace, but I'm glad it helped her.

You will continue with Joanne? She sounds wonderful!

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2018, 11:32:43 AM »
I assume Misa's activity level will increase as she gets more comfortable... running, playing, etc.  Time will tell. I worry about her not being very active, but... one step at a time.

I'll probably have Joanne come back in 4 weeks for a slight trim.  Misa's nails were trimmed pretty good, but they were long ... so the quicks are also.  I think the norm is every 6 weeks, but feeding raw... whole new ballgame.  I trimmed Lacy's nails a little every week.  A little trimming is what worked for her and me. 

Joanne IS amazing!  I was actually kinda happy (lack of a better word) when she wasn't able to trim Misa's nails, the first time.  To me... that meant she was aware of Misa's limits and her own.  It isn't just a business for her... it is also about the dog. 

As far as how Misa is doing.  She amazes us every day. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2018, 11:41:55 AM »
I realize she's non-compliant as of now, but if you could manage to get her used to one of these, you could use it every week and then not need actual cutting of the nails:

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/furminator-nail-grinder-for-dogs

Then there's always these slings:

https://drwoofmeow.myshopify.com
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 11:44:36 AM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2018, 11:47:58 AM »
I have a pet Dremmel.  That is what I used on Lacy.  Just the noise of it, sets Misa off. 
Joanne had all kinds of different apparatus thingies.  It is difficult to explain, but ... none of it was happening... and not due to Joanne's skills.  I'm not saying the nails couldn't have been trimmed at ALL cost.  That isn't what either of us wanted though. 
My "dream" is... Misa will get used to the idea.  It just will take some time.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 11:50:35 AM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2018, 10:34:09 PM »
Misa's comfort zone inside the house is the master bedroom.  She is so into "routine," that if I move her bed just a few inches... she stresses. 
She will walk around the house if she is leashed, but she won't check things out on her own.

We started out feeding her in the master bedroom, to keep her stress level down.  However, I started moving her bowl towards the bedroom door and down the hallway.... a little at a time.  She eventually would peak around the corner of the hallway, while I was preparing plates.    I would move her bowl towards the kitchen a litttttttle at a time. 
I don't mind that she eats in the bedroom, but our goal is to get her more used to the house... not fear that strange people will pop out of nowhere!

Today she came out of the bedroom, and into the kitchen... on her own! 

Some may think we are going toooooo slow with her, but I really don't want to push her... to the extent that she loses trust in us.  I'd rather go slow and not make (hopefully) any mistakes. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2018, 06:48:22 AM »
Today she came out of the bedroom, and into the kitchen... on her own! 

That's HUGE!!  Congratulations!

I don't think you are going too slow.  Go at the animal's pace, is the way to do it.

Congratulations on Misa's progress!

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2018, 12:14:57 PM »
Thx

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2018, 12:35:40 PM »
Slow is better than ending up "no go."
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2018, 04:41:40 PM »
How is our Misa girl getting along these days?

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2018, 09:18:34 PM »
I have been scratching my head big time how a dog can be SO fearful, yet is totally 100% non-threatening.  I have always heard that a fearful dog = a dangerous dog.  Sooooo not the case with Misa. 

We kept thinking that she just needed some adjustment time.  She HAS made a lot of adjustments.  However she is sooooo far from being a "normal" dog, that I continued to scratch my head.  I recently started reading a bit about street/feral dogs.  Soooooo much makes sense now.   We still have a lot to learn though. 

Tags:

'Hare