Author Topic: Jenkins  (Read 109 times)

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
Jenkins
« on: June 22, 2018, 02:20:23 PM »
He has been with us almost 6 years. For those that don't know, he isn't a people cat.  Humans wouldn't exist, in his perfect world. 

It took us a looooooong time to be able to pet him, without getting sliced and diced.  Even now, he is different... as far as petting goes... compared to the other cats.  We can pet him, but we have to hit the "awwww" areas, or he won't allow petting. 
When I say that "he won't allow," I mean he runs away.  He no longer hisses at us or attempts to bite us.
He will play games with us, sleep with us, etc., but it is always at a safe distance.  Don't get me wrong, he has come a loooong way.  He is who he is.  We are okay with that. 

We have NEVER picked him up or held him.  Last week it hit me.  He has lived here a long time.  I wonder if he would allow me to pick him up.  At the very least, him not slice and dice me. 

His usual routine when I'm fixing plates of food, is to jump on the counter and keep a close eye on the serving portions.   Silly7  Sooooo, I decided to turn around (my back is usually to him) and attempt to grab him off the counter.  Oh, he tried to get away.  He was scrambling big time.  However, I was able to get hold of him.  I just picked him up and put him on the floor.  I kept him away from my body, as I was doing that.  He did hiss at me, but never attempted to turn his head around and bite me.  I did this a few times last week and this week too.  I don't want to torment him, but I do want to be able to handle him... to some extent.

I THINK it is safe to assume I am not tormenting him, because every meal time... he is at his usual counter spot. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 02:36:41 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
Re: Jenkins
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 02:29:42 PM »
More rambling...

We have always given Jenkins treats.  Whether it be a snack we are eating, food from our plates, or meat that we are mixing for pet food.  Bribery.  The funny thing is (to us anyway...some will not find it funny, I know) is that we created a beggar. 

When we are eating, he will sit (on the floor) next to our chairs... waiting for a hand-out.  He has recently advanced to waiting by a dinner guest's chair... waiting for a hand-out. 

Jenkins has come a long way.  :)

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 02:46:21 PM »
Last Jenkins story.  :). I have some stressful carp happening later today, so I am rambling to keep my mind occupied.  If anyone is wondering.  :)

My feeding routine:
Put food on plates.
Jenkins is fed first, in a bedroom.  The reason is he will eat fast and then eat the others' food.
Next up is Roxy.  She eats in a bathroom.  Reason... she likes to dine alone and eat slow.  Enjoy every bite. 
The other 4... plates down.  Everyone has manners.
Last one to get her plate is the dog.  Her routine is a story for another time. :)

I NORMALLY pick up dog plate first.  I then pick up Jenkins' plate second, and let him out of the room at the same time.  He likes to make sure all the other plates are clean.  After he cleans the other plates, I pick them up.

Yesterday, I picked up Jenkins' plate last.  When I let him out, and he saw the other plates were gone, he turned around and hissed at me.  Just to be sure I was "reading" him correctly, I did the same thing today.  Yup... I was reading him right.  He did not like the "new" routine one bit!   Silly7

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 03:02:13 PM »
So you are going to return to the old return and let him has his Job back right?

I love all the rest and I think you are very smart to start getting him used to being handled in the way that you are.  But I hope he can have his Plate Cleaner Job back.

Thanks for the happy update also, can't believe it's been 6 years!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 03:06:18 PM »
I'm so glad he let you pick him up finally! You have my utmost respect, because I'll be honest. It would kill me to have something furry in the house and not be able to pick it up and pet it.

I second the return to the old routine. He should be allowed to make sure everything is clean!
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 03:06:37 PM »
So you are going to return to the old return and let him has his Job back right?

Yes!  I may not be the perfect pet parent.  There are things I don't know.  Mistakes have and will be made.  BUT I do just about ANYTHING for them, that is humanly possible...or try to.   They own my heart. 

It is very difficult to not hug the snot out of Jenkins. Being able to pet him helped us greatly.  :)   He is sooooo cute.  He is also looks exactly like my angel Leonard.  The big green beautiful eyes. The cute pink nose.  The personality is polar opposite though.  That IS perfectly okay though...just for the record.   :)  Our home might not be perfect, but it was his last shot.  We were TOTALLY willing to work with him... or let him be. 
We have others we can hug the snot out of, and he does allow us to pet him.  That is probably why we never pushed picking him up.   
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 03:18:26 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 03:21:28 PM »
He has only been to see a vet 3 times, since he has been here.  I realllllly would like to get him in for a check-up.  Being able to handle him ... would be a very good thing!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2018, 03:48:29 PM »
Well I think you are doing everything right with him. So there.  HeadButt

Offline ThreeStep

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 07:33:54 AM »
You made a huge progress! Will your vet do house calls?

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 09:25:26 AM »
Well I think you are doing everything right with him. So there.  HeadButt

Thanks.   Hug1

I think where I was beating myself up (just a little) was why I waited so long.  Our "thing" is let them be who they are, but sometimes we forget that some pushing isn't a bad thing.

Actually, one of our vets does do house calls... for the elderly.  I'm not there yet.   Silly7
I'm good with working on picking him up, and going from there. 

Tags:

'Hare