Author Topic: Butt Dragging  (Read 273 times)

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
Butt Dragging
« on: June 22, 2018, 03:24:08 PM »
What exactly is the cause... other then the cat trying to get the poo to disengage?  The poo sticks because...

Edit:  I'm asking because of our Lilly.  Every so often she does a butt drag.  She is VERY furry... has bloomers.  ThreeStep's version of her Izzy... is pretty much our Lilly.  Why does the poo not "clear" once in a while? 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 03:27:04 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Butt Dragging
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 04:03:30 PM »
Parasites or anal gland problems.  Jennie drags her butt (I call it scooting).  Her anal glands have to be expressed regularly by the vet tech.  But even when they are empty she still scoots..I think it's just habit now..maybe it feels good.

If you can't get a good look at Lily's anal glands you might want to bring her in.  If you can..what you are looking for is little brown dots on either side of the anus. There shouldn't be any, but if you see them, especially if there is matter protruding, they will need to be expressed.

Anal glands can become impacted and infected if not cleared out regularly.  For most cats it happens as a matter of course when they poop.  some, for some reason have trouble.  Mazy cat and Jennie both need regular intervention (Mazy cat does not scoot) and my Bibbs (angel) did too. Bibbs didn't scoot either.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 08:47:28 PM »
I might be confused, or maybe I wasn't clear... Lilly does it to get the poop to remove itself from her hairy hind end.  Poop sticks to the fur.  She then drags her butt, which smashes poo and leaves a skid mark on the floor. 

I will give her anus a good look though!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 08:57:03 PM »
I might be confused, or maybe I wasn't clear... Lilly does it to get the poop to remove itself from her hairy hind end.  Poop sticks to the fur.  She then drags her butt, which smashes poo and leaves a skid mark on the floor. 

I will give her anus a good look though!

Time to start chasing her around with some homemade baby wipes. Don't buy the ones in the store, too many of them are full of unnatural garbage.

Just don't add those optional essential oils, and one roll of paper towels (without dyes) makes 2 sets of wipes:

https://wellnessmama.com/1459/homemade-baby-wipes/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 06:06:23 AM »
You were clear about Lily.  But you also asked "what exactly is the cause".  So I answered that one.  ;D

Many people do a sani-trim on cats with long fluffy bloomers. Keeping he back trimmed short.

OOOOHHHH I've read it a few more times. You want to know why the poop sticks. Doh1  Well, because it can, probably. That's why people trim.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 07:17:07 AM »
I did a close-up check.  Lilly wasn't exactly pleased.  Silly7  All looks good.  :)
I guess I was thinking... if the poop is so soft (lack of a better word) that it sticks to her fur, maybe it had something to do with her diet. 

It isn't a big deal for me.  I wash the floor and Lilly washes herself.  We just try to remember to not allow kisses from her for a while.   Silly7

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 08:32:53 AM »
Yes it could be diet related, if the poop is too sticky or soft, every cat is different after all. Maybe she needs a touch more calcium than the others? Or is having a little trouble processing fat? (digestive enzymes?)  But whether you want to play around with it or not..depends on how much of a problem it is for her.

Offline ThreeStep

• Gabster
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 07:29:39 AM »
We had cling ons twice so far with Izzi. She was rather perturbed when we had to cut one out. Soft is diet related.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2018, 10:15:34 AM »
She ate duck recently.  It has been a while since "we" have had duck.  Bet that was it.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2018, 10:27:39 AM »
I just gave up on duck.  In fact I was so tired of worrying about it I threw the rest of it away. It was very expensive duck, but it just wasn't working and it was taking up freezer space.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2018, 10:32:41 AM »
I don't normally have issues with duck.  I'm going to GUESS the issue was due to me not having it in the rotation for a while. 

Where did you get duck from?  I buy it from Hare-Today and Raw Feeding Miami... and I know you don't shop at either of those places. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2018, 01:39:03 PM »
I bought the duck on a whim the last time I ordered Mazy cat's Cornish hens.

https://rockymtncuts.com/

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2018, 03:24:10 PM »
I bought the duck on a whim the last time I ordered Mazy cat's Cornish hens.

https://rockymtncuts.com/

If I wanted to eat duck... looks good!

Ours eat ground duck with bone and all the ewie stuff.  It is pretty nasty looking, but the furkids love it!  I THINK the more gross something looks to me, the better tasting it is to them.  Silly7

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2018, 05:01:45 PM »
Well it was supposed to be for Mazy cat and she has to have organic non GMO project verified. But I couldn't seem to introduce it slow enough to keep her from vomiting.

As for Jennie, I have determined, almost, that her problem is she can't process fat any more, so giving her even the tiniest amount of duch was a disaster.

Tags:

'Hare