Author Topic: Pre-Mixes with Cooked Meat?  (Read 5355 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Pre-Mixes with Cooked Meat?
« on: February 08, 2019, 11:18:48 PM »
My mother went online and printed some home-cooked recipes for her senior dog.  I looked at them and wasn't impressed; to me, they didn't seem balanced.  There was no organ or bone (or other form of calcium), just your usual meat, veggies and grains like rice.

I know there are pre-mixes that can be added to raw meat, but can they also be added to cooked meat?  Mom has already told me she's not going to feed raw (I didn't ask why and am not going to push), but if she's considering home cooking for the dog, then maybe rather than going with some off-the-internet, probably not balanced recipe, it might be healthier for the dog and easier for Mom to just add a pre-mix to cooked meat.

Is that an option?  Or do those pre-mixes (e.g. Honest Kitchen, Sojos, Dr. Harvey's, Alnutrin or Grandma Lucy's) have to be mixed with raw?  Or, if they can be mixed with cooked meat, are there other things that need to be added (due to the meat being cooked) to make the meal balanced and complete?

Thanks in advance!   :-* :-* :-*
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Pre-Mixes with Cooked Meat?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 06:13:05 AM »
You can use cooked meat with most premixes.  You have to know the weight of the meat before cooking and be sure to retain all juices from cooking.  Cooking should be as light as possible.

You might want to check with each manufacturer to be sure.  Don't forget Food Fur Life's EZcomplete as an option. They even include instructions for cooking the meat first  :)

Scroll down for the info on cooked meat

http://www.foodfurlife.com/how-to-prepare-ezcomplete-fur-dogs.html

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 02:31:48 PM »
I don't THINK all pre-mixes require a person to know the weight of the meat before being cooked.  I could be wrong...

I have never used U-Stew, BUT it seems like it would be the easiest for your mother... and the veggies she wants to add to the meat.   

Directions
For convenience, make larger batches and freeze.
(* Add more water if desired - especially when preparing the food using ground meat.)

In a large pot, combine 2lbs. meat, 1 1/2 cups of water and optional vegetables.  Cook on medium heat for 5-7 minutes until just browned. Do not over cook.
Allow to cool to room temperature.
Add 1/2 cup U-Stew powder and mix throughly.
Divide into serving sizes based on the weight of your dog.  The fresh mixture will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.  Freeze the rest for storage.

Daily servings:
1/4lb. or 1/2 cup - for a 10-12lb. dog
1/2lb. or 1 cup - for a 20-25lb. dog
1lb. or 2 cups - for a 40-50lb. dog
2lbs. or 4 cups - for a 100lb. dog

https://www.knowbetterpetfood.com/products/u-stew-for-dogs
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 02:33:33 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 02:53:43 PM »
I don't THINK all pre-mixes require a person to know the weight of the meat before being cooked.  I could be wrong...

I have never used U-Stew, BUT it seems like it would be the easiest for your mother... and the veggies she wants to add to the meat.   

That does look like a good choice for her!

U-stew is designed for cooked meat, so the amount to use is based on their instructions for cooked meat. Still you need to know the weight of the meat raw, and ensure all juices are saved. The instructions, I believe are still talking about th weight of raw meat when you start to cook it.

U-Stew for Dogs is a whole food supplement for preparing a cooked homemade dog food.  It’s designed to provide your dog with essential nutrients and protein for health and longevity.  Digestive enzymes and pre-biotics have been added to replace what has been lost in the cooking process.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 10:36:18 PM »
You might want to check with each manufacturer to be sure.  Don't forget Food Fur Life's EZcomplete as an option. They even include instructions for cooking the meat first  :)

I KNEW I was forgetting one!   Doh1  :-[  I was at Mom's when I saw your post and read the instructions to her.  I think she got overwhelmed by it.  She said she's going to play around a bit, and I suggested she just start with browning a little ground meat just to see if Mika will even eat it.  She seems to need "incentives" like crumbled treats, cheese, etc. before she'll actually eat.

I did suggest to Mom that maybe she'd be more comfortable eating from a plate instead of the bowl, like cats are.  We don't know her history, but I was wondering if her previous family just fed her directly from the table (she's a begger, but Mom and I resist) or from the dishes after her family was done eating.  So Mom's trying that.  It's hard to tell if it's working, though, because Mom's also adding toppers to Mika's food.

Thanks!  I've never heard of that one and will have to look into it when I have a bit more time.

Thank you both so much!  If you think of others, please post them, too!   :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

EDIT:  I looked at the U-Stew ingredients and am trying to figure out what's being used in place of the organ that would be in prey-model or raw feeding.  It includes liver, but if I remember correctly, other (secreting) organs should also be used in addition to liver.  Or am I confusing myself?   :-\  In raw, it's meat, bone, liver and secreting organ, or just meat, bone and liver?

If additional organ is needed, then maybe Mom could add a fish oil supplement, or the pancreas supplement MC uses.  But it does look like a good option for her, and I like that they have a trial size so we could see if Mika will even eat it.

Egg yolk, calcium lactate, beef liver powder, gelatin, whey protein concentrate, rice bran, beet root, digestive enzymes, psyllium husks, EFA from fish, barley grass powder, kelp, taurine, rose hip, parsley, Vitamin E succinate, Vitamin B complex.

*Further details as to why rice bran is added: Rice Bran is an insoluble fibre for intestinal health. Not considered a grain, but rather the coating of the grain, with little carbohydrate content. Sweeps the large intestine much like fur or feathers of a prey animal.

The ingredients we use are without exception of human grade quality. All raw materials are 100% natural, and no preservatives, colours, or other artificial additives are used. None of our ingredients are sourced from China.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 12:50:45 PM by Pookie »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 09:15:07 PM »
Bumping this thread since I edited my last post (edit is also below):

EDIT:  I looked at the U-Stew ingredients and am trying to figure out what's being used in place of the organ that would be in prey-model or raw feeding.  It includes liver, but if I remember correctly, other (secreting) organs should also be used in addition to liver.  Or am I confusing myself?   :-\  In raw, it's meat, bone, liver and secreting organ, or just meat, bone and liver?

If additional organ is needed, then maybe Mom could add a fish oil supplement, or the pancreas supplement MC uses.  But it does look like a good option for her, and I like that they have a trial size so we could see if Mika will even eat it.

Egg yolk, calcium lactate, beef liver powder, gelatin, whey protein concentrate, rice bran, beet root, digestive enzymes, psyllium husks, EFA from fish, barley grass powder, kelp, taurine, rose hip, parsley, Vitamin E succinate, Vitamin B complex.

*Further details as to why rice bran is added: Rice Bran is an insoluble fibre for intestinal health. Not considered a grain, but rather the coating of the grain, with little carbohydrate content. Sweeps the large intestine much like fur or feathers of a prey animal.

The ingredients we use are without exception of human grade quality. All raw materials are 100% natural, and no preservatives, colours, or other artificial additives are used. None of our ingredients are sourced from China.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 04:59:46 AM »
Two secreting organs is ideal, with liver essential, but liver can be used for the whole secreting organ requirement.

I would add an omega 3 anyway.  I prefer krill or GLM over fish oil.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 08:48:56 PM »
Thanks, MC!   HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt HeadButt :-* :-* :-*

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 07:59:26 PM »
I ordered the trial size of U-Stew for Mom's dog today.  She should get it late next week.  She's not planning on feeding the cooked/pre-mixed food for every meal, but probably every other meal.  Even so, hopefully the better diet will help her dog feel better.  She has arthritis (she already gets glucosamine), and has some other pre-existing issues, and gets picky about her food.   fingerscrossed that she likes the cooked meat with the premix and that it helps.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 06:57:54 AM »
 fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth