Author Topic: Catster  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
Catster
« on: September 21, 2011, 01:59:05 PM »
Is www.Catster.com (and www.Dogster.com) forum's main focus about pets... or is the sole purpose to generate revenue from ads?

A few tidbits of info.  

Founder and chief executive officer Ted Rheingold: An authority in building profitable start-ups and community-backed media properties.

Ted Rheingold, Catster, Dogster, all part of the SAY Media family.

VideoEgg + Six Apart + Say Media (Advertising networks) = Catster/Dogster.  

Advertising Networks - Direct visitors to hosted and third party websites running ads.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 02:22:11 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
Re: Catster
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 09:11:01 PM »

An interview with Ted Rheingold in 2007

Gives you an idea of where his head was at even "way back then".    :-X
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 01:26:26 AM »
Oh carp!  I guess that article was purged.

That's what I get for not checking the link before I post it.

sorry.   :-[
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Charter Member
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 06:37:45 PM »
Sounds like a couple websites I know of.... It's not about the members, but how much said members can make for the owners. It's sick. Especially when the forum is screwed up and the administrators won't even bother to fix it when TOLD EXPLICITLY what needed to be fixed and how to do it......!!

I block ads on all sites, lol.
Brandon

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 07:12:45 PM »
Bump, is one bathy, from jail time, on Catsfur, mol.   Bumpurr1 cat4 CatsterBath2 bumpgif

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 08:14:41 PM »
I don't have a problem with website owners wanting to make money.  My problem with Catser/Dogster is their sole purpose is ad revenue...yet that is not the impression they give. 

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Charter Member
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 10:47:55 AM »
Well of course not! They're not exactly going to make it obvious are they lol, who would support them then?
Brandon

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 03:14:26 PM »
Actually, for anybody really paying attention, they do.   :P  Your first clue, was the "Nutro saga", on Catsfur, a little over a year ago.   >:D

Kitties were dropping like flys.  Alot got jail time, some got life.  One kitty was brave enough to actually go to Catsfurs office in San Francisco, and found some "very interesting information".  That kitty, before they were put into WITSEG, sent me an email. Said watch your back, you are next, if you continue, to try and make pet parents, aware of the truth.  He/she actually, found "information", per say, that Bump was next on the "hit parade list".  And this was one of the very knowledgable/respected kitties.   :o

I didn't believe them, naaa, I thought, this can't be true. This message board, beyond, promotes/implies, they are for the good of the cat.   :(

I was wrong.

Bump continued to make pet parents aware of the dangers of petty foodies.  Catsfur launched a full scale attack on Bump. He got so many bathys, didn't need to even wash him for a show, just put on post in the foodies section, instant bath, just wish Catsfur would learn to use conditioner, and rinse more.  He also got a very nasty email from a certain lady, who seems to run things there, who I was warned about. Said if Bump gets one more bath, he gets jail time, might get parole.   >:(

Bump posts in other sections, narry a sherriff in site, but posty in the foodie section, he gets a bath. So the other kitty was right.  Lola knows, she got jail time, and was offered parole, I will let her, tell her story.

This board was formed, so we could make pet parents aware, of proper cat nutrition, and the dangers of grain foodies.  We is all, rejects, from Catsfur, some for life, some are one bathy away. 

So, if ya are paying attention, it is very obvious.  :D  Bumpurr1 cat4 TexasFlag bumpgif

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Charter Member
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 07:39:28 PM »
Well I'd never even heard of catster until I joined this site, so I wouldn't know... But you would think they'd be a bit more discrete, lol.
Brandon

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 01:04:04 PM »
My point...

IMHO (after checking out background info of Catster, founders, co-founders, Say Media, etc), I HIGHLY doubt Catster exists for any reason...other then to generate revenue from the pet food industry
Without getting into all the legalities....More than likely, there are also paid/unpaid members that post SOLELY to promote and/or praise a specific pet food and/or company. 
The impression given (IMHO) is that the forums are for pet owners to discuss pets. A warm and fuzzy impression
I'll just leave it at that... 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 06:53:08 PM »

This board was formed, so we could make pet parents aware, of proper cat nutrition, and the dangers of grain foodies.  We is all, rejects, from Catsfur, some for life, some are one bathy away. 

Well not all of us. :)  I never joined Caster, I checked it out a long time ago and disliked the format. :)  I've been feeding solely a canned diet (with the exception of my current FLUTD girl) since 1985, when my then Red Boy developed cystitis.  The vet was ahead of his time, back then and told me no more kibble. And no fish.  But it wasn't until the melamine poisoning recall of 2007 that I began to really educate myself about feline nutrition and what goes into cat food.

And then, the search began.  And continues.  I'm fairly happy with most of the foods my canned eaters are getting now, but I won't stop looking, even so.  <sigh>

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 11:26:42 PM »
Im still on Catster, though I am only on there for the friends I have made (just profile posts). I try to keep clear of the food forums, unless someone really needs help. Im just not prepared to be bashed for my opinions there any more. Got really tired of all the B.S with a few of them.  Well at least I dont pay for my catsfur page. :-\
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 01:13:32 PM »
Just to be clear...I'm not "dogging" the genuine (and unsuspecting) members of Catster or Dogster.   :-*

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 05:58:33 PM »
I am still on there, will read posts on occassion, but mostly play in the footyball section, Bump is one bathy away, from jail time, per the not so very nice email he got, from catsfur.  If he gets one more bathy, he gonna take them all down, mol, he knows where the bodies is buried, mol.  Before the kitty disappeared into WITSEG, they shared the information. Bump savin that, for the future.   >:( flashbang pangif throwfit nonono bewareofmodsgif

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 04:20:01 PM »
Is the Catster Forum going away? 
"After July 18, 2016, the club site will be permanently closed. Save your profiles and images before the site shutdowns."
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 04:26:04 PM by Lola »

'Hare